Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Omg

Omg

Saw this online. Check your cables weekly.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Omg

People think they are protected from there cords burning up by their circuit breakers, but they are wrong. An overheated cord can burn with flames and all and the breaker will not trip. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I have noticed that some residential cords at houses burn up and the breaker stays on, seems the electrical industry has some questions to answer.

We had a big Sea Ray burn up at the dock main 50 a. brkr, no trip.

whatever happened with the dude that was missing a leg or getting partial power? there were a couple posts on this topic the last few weeks but seems like the OPs on them never responded with findings or I missed something. Shore power cords were suspect in each thread

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    I have noticed that some residential cords at houses burn up and the breaker stays on, seems the electrical industry has some questions to answer.
    They need to answer the basic laws of electricity???...or does the public need to understand V=IR and P=I^2 * R ????
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I grab hold of my cord 3 or 4 times a day to check for heat. I also shut of the circuit breaker before I unplug either side. That’s keeps from sparking and burning the plug ends. I’ve never burned a plug in 40 years.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    They need to answer the basic laws of electricity???...or does the public need to understand V=IR and P=I^2 * R ????
    Yep, amazing the general ignorance. Someone expects a breaker to go off when they plug in a soldering iron or a space heater?
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

8. Re: Omg

The cords, plugs and all receptacles require periodic inspection and maintenance just like most everything else in the ships electrical systems. The picture from the OP shows what can happen when the maintenance is deferred or neglected. It happens quite often.

Far to often.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Then there is this seen back in March of '16 at West End. Note, that the exhaust is also sort of pointed at the cockpit. There was no cap on the propped up container the hose was stuck in the end and tied in place;

gasshole.jpg
    Regards
    Dan