Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

53MY side door locks

Anybody know of a better method to lock the side doors than the oem latch? I'd like to put something on that is more secure, easy to use, and not unsightly. The oem latch when locked can be easily jerked open by an 8 year old. I don't want to use a padlock and hasp. Is there anything else?

Re: 53MY side door locks

Why not just a robust hook and eye on the inside of the side doors. Then come and go throught the back saloon door as that one is easier to affix a proper lock.

Mike,
    Maybe you just need new door latch mechanisms. Mine cannot be jerked open. How do your doors fit? Have you checked the rollers and springs on the top and bottom of the door? I replaced all of the rollers on mine and you just cannot jimmy the door up and down enough to get the latch loose. Call Steve and ask him about new hardware.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Mike,

Mine can't be jerked open by a 20 year old. Maybe your existing lock is worn and can be repaired? Or maybe the door itself moves up and lets the lock slip and can be fixed by restoring the door track? Also, if one of your sliding door locks works well and the other doesn't, just lock the hasp from the inside on the bad one and lock the boat from the outside with the good one?

Of course, if somebody really wants to get in, they'll just break the glass, so there's a limit to how good any lock is.

Doug

I have the hook and eye setup on both salon sliding doors and it works quite well. Not unsightly at all either, looks like it belongs there since all the other doors on the boat have a hook and eye setup to hold the doors open.

I had bought one of the $30 skeleton keys from Sam's Marine, but of course the key that is supposed to fit most of these salon doors does not work on my locks.

I feel the hook and eye secures the doors quite well, unless someone happens to pry hard enough on the opposite edge of the door enough to jump the door off its tracks. The tracks are shallow, the little wheels that the doors roll on are plastic and two of the four are spring-loaded so I doubt it would be very difficult to do. Then someone could reach in behind the door and unlatch the hook to remove the door completely. Now that I think about it, two hook and eye setups would be the most secure with one on the left and one on the right. Both edges of the door would be secure.

Like Doug said, if someone really wants in they're coming in.

I have brass slide type locks at the top of each door. The main part is on the door "jam" and it slides into a notch routed into the door. No way can it be slid open with those engaged.

Of course, as was said, anyone who really wants to get in can.

K

Are these brass thingies on the inside of the door?

I hadn't thought about simply using hook/latches and going in from the rear. Duh! Sounds like a good idea since the rear exit is a much more "secure" door.

And yes, I agree totally that if anyone is serious at all, they're getting in. I'd just like something a little more substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdHatt
    I had bought one of the $30 skeleton keys from Sam's Marine, but of course the key that is supposed to fit most of these salon doors does not work on my locks.
    The keys from Sam's are the wrong size center shaft and the "stop" on the shaft is too small, but they will work. You have to know how far to stick it in so that the stop is right at the "small hole lock plate" and doesn't go past it. The small hole the lock plate is on one side only, so it's outside on the sb door and inside on the port door. The other side of the door has a "big hole lock plate" with a small hole farther in the lock so the key reaches the right place.

I have one original key, and one from SAM's. The original works perfectly on both doors from either side. The one from SAM's doesn't as described above. Maybe I could take a clay cast of the original one, or take very exacting measurements with a vernier caliper, and send it to you. A welder could make one from scratch easily it they had the right measurements.

Doug Shuman

My keys for my side doors are not like that at all. They look like a key to a large sized Master padlock, grooved on both sides with a staggered cut edge on the top to mate with the tumblers(much like the ignition key).
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Doug,
    I greatly appreciate the offer but I have honestly given up on the idea of using the factory latches as the sole locking mechanism for the sliding doors. I think I'll stick with the hook and eye setup for now. Thank you though!