Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Deck Plate Access

To fill the coolant on my port engine (43 DC with 6-71N's), I have to remove the ladder, move a chair, lift a heavy deckplate and slide another deckplate out from under the ice maker. It's a PITA.

I am thinking of cutting a 4 x 6 inch access in the existing deckplate to make filling the coolant easier.

Since my life is a study of "unintended consequences" I thought I would poll the forum to see if anybody could think of why this might be another stupid idea.

Thanks

Bruce

Re: Deck Plate Access

My 43 has exactly what you are considering. Mine are 6" x 6". (Don't get them too small or you can't get your hands inside if you need both hands! I usually push with one hand while turing with the other.)

My next project is going to be to cut the outboard hatches in half so that I can open the forward section without removing the ladder or having to move the sofa.

Are you having to top it off often? If so, there’s a problem. I’m assuming you have easy access to check the coolant level?

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler 45C
    Are you having to top it off often? If so, there’s a problem. I’m assuming you have easy access to check the coolant level?
    There is no way to check the coolant other than to get to the top of the heat exchanger and look inside. I check and fill it cold so I lose some to the bilge. I would rather do that than run low.

The 6-71's are so tall that I can't get an expansion tank at a higher level than the fill. So I am kind of stuck with this situation.

Bruce

I’ve also got to pull my hatches to fill, which I don’t have to do often, thankfully. I can check mine (871’s) by sticking my finger in the filler.

Are you having to top it off often?

Put on recovery tanks, you can monitor them. I do this often and it works great.