Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fire systems

fire systems

We have the Allied fire and safty co. coming to the marina where my boat is hauled on Sat. to recertify, inspect, recharge etc.fire extinguishers and look at my 18yr old halon system which came with the boat when I bought it 2yrs ago.I don't see any recertification done since the boat was new so it looks like I'm in for a rude awakening as to how many boat bucks this is going to be.After getting their price list on new extinguishers I looked on the web and found co2 ext. 5lb @120.00 10lb @157.00 and 20lb @235.00 with free frt whereas allied is charging 170.00 245.00 and 350.00. I can't imagine what they are going to want for a new bottle for fm/200. My question is, since we have a bunch of old car racers in the group, are the extinguisher systems they use on race cars compatable with boats.They seem to be a lot cheaper. I'm not trying to save bucks at the expense of safty however if there is a cheaper way to build a mousetrap I want to look at it. Maybe some of you old moterheads can give me some info on this. Thanks in advance.
    Skip

Re: fire systems

Well your Halon system can be checked and if in spec will be fine. Mine is original since 1985 and the inspector said these things are good as long as they are within the correct weight range and haven't been discharged. As far as the others on the boat I have at least six of them. A good portion of them are the ones you get out of a boating catalog...not very expensive but I replace them every year or at the most 2 yrs. You can get the expensive ones but you need to get them recertified every so often and if need be recharged. I figured with the proce and hassle of getting it recharged I would go with the cheaper ones...the "throw aways" if you will. My boat is only 32ft and I already have 4x more than required by the coast guard.. on top of the Halon system. I forgot to mention I even keep the old ones stowed away in the event that I run out of the ones I have that are current. Always have at more than what I need that are within certification though....