Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Smile looking for a VDO tachometer

Hi everyone and happy new year!

It's my first thread so please be indulgent.

The starboard VDO tachometer (0-3000 rpm) on one of my Detroit Diesel 8V92 (from a 52 Convertible from 1988) stopped working properly few months afo and I am looking for a replacement part. The issue is that these are no longer available (even at Samsmarine) so I can not use the synchroniser anymore + do not have rpm on this engine.
    We tried different recent VDO models (even the programmable ones that are supposed to work everywhere), tachometers from other brands as follows:

1) We tried the new programmable VDO YC 133 (0-3000rpm) electronic, no hour counter display. We had to use a specific cable (worth $150) to parameter the tachometer and a software (called Viewline). We had the VDO technician on the phone for hours and still could'nt parameter the damn tachometer.
    2) We also tried another VDO tachometer (0-3000 rpm), no electronic, no hour display. Didn't work either...
    3) Then, we desperately tried some cheap chinese tachometers (ECMS meters). They worked... BUT we do not want to rely on cheap chinese equipement for offshore trips (yes they look and feel very cheap...) and I don't think the values given by the tachometers are accurate + they look ugly...

Steve from Samsmarine suggested me to use the new VDO 0-4000 rpm with hour meters because these have solved the same issue before but no one knows why they worked...

So, if someone willing to sell a working VDO tachometer like on the following pictures attached or have a solution to that problem, please contact me, it would be greatly appreciated.
    vdo tachometer.jpgvdo tachometer2.jpg

Alex

Re: looking for a VDO tachometer

Call the guys at Lauderdale Speedometer and I bet they solve your issue. Usually very knowledgeable about these boats. You may need a new sender rather than a tach
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Alex,I replaced the orig VDO gauges with the VDO Viewline Ivory gauges. I was able to program them no problem. That being said, I saved the old gauges. I have 4 tachs and all of the other gauges as well. I was thinking about putting them on eBay. Don’t know what they are worth?
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Alex,I replaced the orig VDO gauges with the VDO Viewline Ivory gauges. I was able to program them no problem. That being said, I saved the old gauges. I have 4 tachs and all of the other gauges as well. I was thinking about putting them on eBay. Don’t know what they are worth? I think I have 2of the tachs here in WI and 2 in Lighthouse Point, FL. BTW, I would check the senders and wiring first. My senders were on the glendinning synchroniser. An easy way to check is to swap wires from sender on working tach to non working tach. The tachs have nothing to do with the synchronizer working.
    Thanks,

Tony

2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

CAll Isspro on the West Coast and ask to talk to Don Wendlich- if he hasn't retired by now, he can help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by laperouse reunion View Post
    hi everyone and happy new year!

It's my first thread so please be indulgent.

the starboard vdo tachometer (0-3000 rpm) on one of my detroit diesel 8v92 (from a 52 convertible from 1988) stopped working properly few months afo and i am looking for a replacement part. The issue is that these are no longer available (even at samsmarine) so i can not use the synchroniser anymore + do not have rpm on this engine.
    We tried different recent vdo models (even the programmable ones that are supposed to work everywhere), tachometers from other brands as follows:

1) we tried the new programmable vdo yc 133 (0-3000rpm) electronic, no hour counter display. We had to use a specific cable (worth $150) to parameter the tachometer and a software (called viewline). We had the vdo technician on the phone for hours and still could'nt parameter the damn tachometer.
    2) we also tried another vdo tachometer (0-3000 rpm), no electronic, no hour display. Didn't work either...
    3) then, we desperately tried some cheap chinese tachometers (ecms meters). They worked... But we do not want to rely on cheap chinese equipement for offshore trips (yes they look and feel very cheap...) and i don't think the values given by the tachometers are accurate + they look ugly...

Steve from samsmarine suggested me to use the new vdo 0-4000 rpm with hour meters because these have solved the same issue before but no one knows why they worked...

So, if someone willing to sell a working vdo tachometer like on the following pictures attached or have a solution to that problem, please contact me, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Attachment 24118Attachment 24117

alex
    call jaret bay surpless in beauford nc they have about 4 they take out dd fron a lot of old boats put cats i the gages are put in the surpluss store for sale on consignment......

I went through the same thing when I put Cummins engines in my 36 Hatteras. No one could get the VDO tachs, which came with the engines, to work at all. I called Isspro and then sent me four tachometers. They worked first time out, they agree from bridge to inside helm, and they still work fine.

Did you solve your problem? Interested in my tachs?
    Thanks,

Tony

2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”