Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chain length

Chain length

Does anyone know how much anchor Chain came on 53’s from the factory?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Chain length

I'll bet someone at Sam's can tell ya.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Took your advice Tim and called Steve at Sams. He stated that standard was 300 feet. I had heard that from others and just wanted to verify.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Rusty, there was a time when Hatt supplied 300 feet of 1/4 inch chain with some of their boats even in the 50 foot range. At that size you might as well use line. Had a friend with a 52C that came with the 1/4 inch chain. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I'm pretty sure that we had the OEM setup when purchased. 25' of chain and 275' of line. Changed the windlass and went to 200' of chain. Adds weight to the bow.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

I don't think what was supplied matters as your actual needs will vary depending on where you are. Here on the east coast and bahamas we rarely anchor in more than 20' of water so you can use just 150' of chains plus 200' of line for the rare times you need that scope. Fishing may be different

West coast many require more, not sure... I think anchorages are much deeper in the PNW
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I don't think what was supplied matters as your actual needs will vary depending on where you are. Here on the east coast and bahamas we rarely anchor in more than 20' of water so you can use just 150' of chains plus 200' of line for the rare times you need that scope. Fishing may be different

West coast many require more, not sure... I think anchorages are much deeper in the PNW
    You’re absolutely correct. We rarely anchor in anything deeper than 20 feet and 300 feet of chain is an overkill. Midway back on both sides of my boat I have water ponding because the bow is too low. My plan is to cut off half of the chain to get the bow up.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I don't think removing half the chain is going to make much of difference... you can easily check by anchoring with the amount you want to remove and see if th level changes.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Good point. I have to mark the chain anyways so I’m going to lower the chain on the dock and then pore water along the walk ways once Half is left on the dock.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Pour. I wish this site had spell and grammar check. Sorry
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California