Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Re: 1980 58’ Hatteras MY

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    For the record, I was never banned. The forum had become an, "us against them", kind of deal, and Doug was getting flack from both sides. With that, I told him I would bow out, at least publicly.

The Sparky1 thing wasn't a comeback and was a username I basically, "inherited". Carl Guzman gave me our friend, Leon's password, just to mess with Leon who was a mutual friend. From there, I made ole Sparky a rich, black man in questionable health, in search of a Hatteras. That brought out the best and the worst of the HOF and turned out to be a great social experiment. Most were trying to help ole' Sparky while others tried their best to sell him something he really didn't need. Those who were sincere were let in on my little game, those who weren't sincere were left to guess. It was an elaborate scheme to flush out a certain broker (who has always hated the ole 'bird), and it worked like a charm! LOL Doug later told me he knew it was me the whole time, given I made no attempt to hide my IP address. As with my previous antics, it was not mean spirited, and I (along with others who were in on it) had a lot of fun with that one. If you wanna have some fun, go back and read Sparky's posts. I have done that more than once and always get a good laugh!

After I outed myself as Sparky1, I decided to come back as myself, but with an extra "e". Doug and I talked about me just coming back as Freebird, but he was concerned that it might open old wounds for those who thought I was nothing but a PITA. I'll readily admit that I got a little carried away with a few of my posts in the early days, but this whole Internet forum thing was brand new for me, and some of y'all were just TOO fun not to mess with!

All that aside, this really is a good group of people who have always gone above and beyond to help out one of their own. The offline support I received when I took the old Bird boat back to Tennessee on one wing was overwhelming. Too bad the new guy didn't come on here to simply introduce himself and reap the benefit from the collective wisdom of this place vs poking everyone in the eye. His loss. It will be interesting to see how this saga plays out as selling a 38 year old Hatteras 58MY especially that one, is a lot different than selling used cars. He should be able to accomplish his goal in turning a profit on that boat as long as the repairs are done right, but my guess is, it will take some creative financing on his part.
    I remember sparky being different.

You played him well.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Bird, weren’t you also a girl at one point, Sherrie something?
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Bird, weren’t you also a girl at one point, Sherrie something?
    LOL!!

Absolutely not! Sherrylynne was the real deal and owned a 45C as I recall. She was from TX, and we became good cyber buddies and would talk for hours on the phone. We never met in person, but she helped me through the divorce years with her, been there, done that input. That reminds me, I haven't talked to her in ages. She sold her Hatt, but we lost track of each other.

When she and I started interacting on here, I got accused of talking to myself! She was a hoot! I just checked, and I still have her phone number. I honestly can't remember when/why we stopped texting/talking. Maybe I'll shoot her a text just to let her know her name came up on here. I'm assuming she still shows up on the members list, but I think Genesissy may have actually banned her at one point thinking she was me. I guess the mods didn't have access to IP addresses, or they would have clearly seen it couldn't have been me. You take on one extra identity, and people get all paranoid!
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Checked her profile, and she hasn't been online in a very long time. She only shows 6 posts on her history, but that's because "somebody" deleted a few for the above listed reason. Sent her a text, but I haven't gotten a reply.

She actually owned a 36C as per her profile. I knew it was a smaller convertible, but I got them mixed up. This thread is turning into a HOF history lesson, but I guess that's good too. Flipper can see what he's missed out on by being a dick.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Well, Sherrylynne replied, and while she is doing well, I found out we lost one of the HOF family and friend, Jack Wade aka HWGINC on here. Jack and I talked on the phone a number of times, and were Facebook friends.

He had some health issues a couple of years ago but recovered. I don't have any details, but he passed about three weeks ago. Super nice guy. I really hated to hear that.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Ang, are you on another boat now or a landlubber?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

In just the past couple of days, I saw Walter’s post in the thread where Bob Kassel (BobK) had taken ill, was selling his boat, and then he was moved to hospice, so I did a search and just learned he passed away a few months ago. I missed that thread at the time he passed.

I’m getting into that age where people around me, not just that “older generation”, but mine, are beginning to pass. One of the lawyers I have worked with for the past 12 or so years who has always been a workaholic was very recently diagnosed with leukemia. He had never felt better in his entire life, he said at the time of diagnosis. He retired this past Friday. Before he became ill, he was very much on the path to one day laying on his deathbed, gazing into his wife’s eyes while confessing his regrets, and saying to her, “Honey, I don’t think I spent enough time at the office.” I don’t want to be that.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    Ang, are you on another boat now or a landlubber?
    I’m shopping for another boat and banked the insurance proceeds which are earmarked for another boat ONLY. A few things are working against me. First, my marina has done zippo to even begin repairing the marina, so if a boat miraculously landed in my lap tomorrow, I have nowhere to put it. The marina continues to tell me, “two years out” before the place will be repaired. My slip still has no usable finger pier, spotty power only one one cord - the other is ripped out, and no pump out. I think it may have water by now. Cable/internet is gone to my knowledge. Much of the marina itself is without power to the slips. So much of Miami’s dockage was wiped out by Hurricane Irma that most places are STILL rebuilding and there is simply nowhere to go. With no pump out, you can imagine how nasty the water is here. Lobsters must be happy since we’re not hunting them anymore.

Second, I’m looking for a newer (maybe in the 10-15 year old range) trawler, such as a Kadey Krogen, Nordhavn, or Nordic Tug - preferable one engine with possibly a wing (get cha home) engine in the 40-foot range. Hatteras hasn’t made anything trawler-ish and that small in decades. (Think: Long Range Cruiser). Most of what’s out there is located in Anacortes, WA. I really like the Kadey Krogen 39.

For now, I bought a condo across the street from the marina at The Mutiny Hotel. I am renovating it and will live here until I find another boat. Once I find a boat, I want to rent the condo seasonally to a snowbird (during the high months - winter) and use it myself when it’s brutally hot in the summer in Miami. This way, if we get another hurricane that wipes out the marina again, at least I won’t be homeless in the several weeks afterward; rather, my condo just won’t be for tent that upcoming winter.

This place is pretty nice. I had been eyeing this building for several years as an investment property, and Irma pushed my hand. Lots of history here. A book has been written about the place and they are making a movie too. It was the Cocaine Cowboys headquarters back in the 80s. I love this place, but I prefer to be living back on the boat across the street at Dinner Key Marina.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

It is indeed a very sobering fact that we have more years behind us than we do ahead. I am constantly losing friends even younger than I am to cancer and various other ailments, and I am very thankful to have my health. That being said, you just never know.

One side benefit of the divorce has been that I've learned to live on less, and take more time to enjoy life with my son on the weeks I have him vs being the workaholic I had become before his arrival. It has cost me financially, but these are days I will never get back. What really freaks me out is thinking in terms of not seeing him every other week as I have done for over 8 years now.. over half his life. I have one more year of driving him (or riding with him) to school, and that too will come to an end when he gets his license.

When that happens, expect my post count to increase exponentially! There, a bright spot for y'all.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

At the risk of morphing this thread into dsomething more philosophical than it should be, I too have lost some dear friends in recent years. This was my wake up call that we do not have an unlimited number of tomorrow's and all we really have is today.

Our bucket list was re-examined and my wife and I decided the time was right for ah life change. Sold our house, furniture, and business up north and are now full time lives boards in FLL. No regrets.