Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Re: 1980 58’ Hatteras MY

My previous “sticker” shock wasn’t quite $20,000 (that was my first yard bill - sticker shock - but I was much less knowledgeable as to what my own skills would become thereafter - nowadays, I've been known to fire the "bottom job guy" for doing crappy work and end up doing it myself at Hurricane Boatyard...in July of all months in Miami!); the most recent sticker shock I had, and it was several years ago (I'm not "shocked" anymore) where I was charged somewhere in the $7,500 range to drop two rudders (that fell right out) and install new cutlass bearings (that went right in). These yards use a “book” to tell them what something should cost based upon age and boat manufacturer for the job, not what time is really spent. When something is easy, there is no deduction; when it’s hard, there is an extraordinary extra charge. Something, the yard admitted to me 12+ years ago when I was negotiating their bill when I knew it took a guy 15 minutes to complete something they charged me 10 hours for.

Pascal, you taught me one (at least) good thing, and it probably won’t make me many friends at the yard, but like you once told me, “You have to sit on the boat all day and make note of who comes and goes and at what time, in order to justify the bill.” You are right. My very first yard bill had me billed for more guys than they had in their employ over a week’s time and I was only one of MANY boats in the yard that week. I challenged that bill and got it reduced because there was no fuckin’ way I used all of their guys working 80 hours a week on MY ONE boat.

Even if I have to take time off work, unpaid, to supervise the yard labor, I come out ahead. Sad, but reality.
    Last edited by Angela; 07-03-2018 at 09:40 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by tom5518 View Post
    Just gonna drop this here:

Hatteras 58 listing
    Looks like the listing has been pulled.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I see that it has even come off the broker’s website, in addition to YachtWorld. I suspect the broker wanted nothing to do with “all of us” exposing the truth to protect a future fellow “brother”. However, it is bound to pop up somewhere else, I’m sure. It is clear that he has no intention of keeping the boat.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

It was a strange marketing technique, to say the least, when the broker finally did divulge the damage along with a price that should be fair after the yet to be made repairs were completed. My guess is that somebody wised up and decided to wait until it was "finished" before it's relisted.

Seems to me that he has a tough road ahead, given the exposure the boat has already received, but I guess we'll see.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

There was someone in the marina looking for a 58 to live aboard maybe he sold it to them. The 58 is still in the marina I pass it every day.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptain63 View Post
    The 58 is still in the marina I pass it every day.
    So, I guess it’s NOT in the yard “being repaired by the best guys in the business who build multi million dollar boats under the supervision of the best marine surveyor around” like the owner said it was. Anyone surprised?
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

It's probable been in City of Fort Myers marina for a mouth or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    So, I guess it’s NOT in the yard “being repaired by the best guys in the business who build multi million dollar boats under the supervision of the best marine surveyor around” like the owner said it was. Anyone surprised?
    Gee, imagine that. How astonishing.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptain63 View Post
    It's probable been in City of Fort Myers marina for a mouth or better.
    Interesting typo.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93