Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Aft Cockpit Shade Ideas

Well, the Admiral wants shade on the aft cockpit. I seem to have several options. However, I would love to hear from the folks here on any ideas or other thoughts. I use a winter cover from the hardtop to the aft cover board that is attached to a track on the hardtop. Therefore, a San Juan Bimini or the like in a fixed laced shade structure will not work nor do I permanently want to limit my ability to see the aft deck from the bridge. I see numerous stretchy type pieces of what look like canvass that attache to telescoping poles that sit in the aft rod holders. Frankly, they look kind of cheesy but I may have no other choice. I also see a permanent either manual or automatic roll out shade. That looks even worse and cost close to 10K. Bad option, I think. Any ideas would be appreciated. I prefer something I can run with but if it needs to come down to run, so be it. Any and all ideas are welcomed. No umbrellas please. I already have two Brockabellas for my own fishing needs for those old enough to remember who Lou Brock is.

Re: Aft Cockpit Shade Ideas

Shade is for wimps. Up north you need the sun for warmth anyway.

Plus I've never seen a full cockpit shade that didn't make boarding harder.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Previous owner did an amazing addition to our boat and I just updated it.

A small bimini that sticks out the aft and protects our (also) new enclosure. It makes the aft salon area much more "room like"

It would be useless if you enjoyed fishing from the aft deck area, but else it is rather pleasant - IMO
    Timothy Rogers
    1981 56' FDMY
    "Fun@Sea.Calm"

Best I have seen on a sportfish is the poles that fit in the aft corners to hold the top up. Saw a really nice one on a big Viking last year. The poles fit into a hole in the gunnel and are removable. Give total access to entire cockpit without ducking under the cover.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Using mid rod holders will leave an area open to board and should still shield the salon.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks. Any more ideas?

use stamoid , not sunbrella.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

John, what you're looking for is a "Sunfly". Attaches to the same track as your cockpit fly and then to poles in the corner rod holders. Really opens up the boat.
    Ours is made from Stamoid but wish it was a lighter fabric like Dacron?
    Also, it would be better if the poles were collapsible or 2 part because they're hard to store on the boat. Going to take care of that over the winter.
    This link has some pretty good pictures as a start to your research.

https://www.canvasdesigners.com/sunfly
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Those are WAY cool.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    John, what you're looking for is a "Sunfly". Attaches to the same track as your cockpit fly and then to poles in the corner rod holders. Really opens up the boat.
    Ours is made from Stamoid but wish it was a lighter fabric like Dacron?
    Also, it would be better if the poles were collapsible or 2 part because they're hard to store on the boat. Going to take care of that over the winter.
    This link has some pretty good pictures as a start to your research.

https://www.canvasdesigners.com/sunfly
    Thanks Holden. I will touch base with Mike when I am down there and see what he has in mind. It looks like a perfect solution.