Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Electrical Issues on Hatteras??

Isolation transformer(s) , 220 is brought in and the neutral s generated with the iso transformers. No neutral , no 110v. Check the transformer breakers first.....Pat

Quote Originally Posted by cb48lrc View Post
    Check the inverter, if it is set up for pass-through and trippped nothing on the output side will get power. This has happened to me.
    Good point. This has happened to me as well.

Bobk

when did an inverter get involved ?????

If you have 220v service, then both Line 1 and Line 2 are fine. The issue has to be with the neutral.

start testing the neutral with a meter at the shorepower cord and work your way to the panel.

Space heaters use a lot of power.... how many were on , you said several. 3, 4... more? They can use 10 to 15 amps each.

Over the years i ve had a couple of problems with shorepower cords and plugs on various boats and it was always the Neutral
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If there are transformers and you have 220vac then you everything should be good through the transformers. The transformers make their own neutral. I don’t remember ever seeing a neutral fuse on my boat. If there is, it would be a bolt on type fuse in a panel somewhere. Easiest way to check is to remove cover from AC breaker panel. Put a voltmeter on the two hot legs. Should read 220 vac. Then put volt meter on one hot leg and neutral buss. Should be 110vac. If you have 110 here then it has to be the gfi’s. To test gfi, unplug everything in the boat. Press the test button on the gfi. Should hear a click. Then press reset. If you don’t hear a click, repeat process. Do this for all gfi on boat. There will be at least one in every room. Maybe two in galley and salon. A tripped gfi will affect both lights and outlets.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Not sure about 1989 vintage, but my 1985 has no GFI plugs, just GFI breakers in each of the ships service panels.

My guess is something wrong at the isolation transformer. Try switching to the other transformer, ie plug the inlet cord into the other plug at the boat and see if that works.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The possibilities are endless but until you know you are getting the proper voltage to ground on each leg out of the shore power plug you may be chasing your tail. Does the boat have a generator? If so crank it up and see if the 110 legs work on the genset without being plugged to shore power. If so you know its in the cord, dockside or fuses etc that bring shore power to boat. If none of the 110 works on the generator as well then the issue is in the boat somewhere

If you have 220v in the boat, then I see no point in testing the cord or shore connection. There is no neutral that even comes on board. As stated, try the generator which does not go through the isolation transformer and/or switch the cord to the other transformer.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    The possibilities are endless but until you know you are getting the proper voltage to ground on each leg out of the shore power plug you may be chasing your tail. Does the boat have a generator? If so crank it up and see if the 110 legs work on the genset without being plugged to shore power. If so you know its in the cord, dockside or fuses etc that bring shore power to boat. If none of the 110 works on the generator as well then the issue is in the boat somewhere
    +1, this will isolate the sources and give you a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Not sure about 1989 vintage, but my 1985 has no GFI plugs, just GFI breakers in each of the ships service panels.

My guess is something wrong at the isolation transformer. Try switching to the other transformer, ie plug the inlet cord into the other plug at the boat and see if that works.
    The problem with thirty year old boats is there's lots of time to add things. I went crazy with a power failure until I was laying on my back looking up at a hidden GFI that someone before me added. Found two more in the course of other work. I wish someone had invested in a label maker.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC