Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Electrical Issues on Hatteras??

Hello and thanks in advance for any response and help!!! I am not owner, but manage a 54 1989 Hatteras Motor Yacht for a friend. The other week, there were several space heaters on at one time. After a couple hours, all was fine, until the power went out? There were only a couple lights on, no refrigerator, no microwave, no coffee maker, no hair dryers, no tv or stereo, no Christmas lights, ....basically hardly any draw on the power.

There is power on the tower, power into the yacht, power red indicator lights lit up on the Ships Service, amps show plenty coming into yacht, on ships service, both the 220 volt dryer and the battery chargers are operating. But there is NO 110 service anywhere on the yacht?? No lights, no plugs,...none.

So, does anyone know why this would be?? There is enough amps to Ships Service, Ships Service shows power coming to the panel, 220 appliances work, no tripped circuit breakers, ....but no 110 service anywhere on the boat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Best regards, Marty
    Last edited by BlueyedCaptain; 12-20-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Re: Electrical Issues on Hatteras??

That stinks, hopefully you've got that warm spell we've been here in Northeast to compensate for loss of heat. I have older 1976 Hatteras with Airpax Magnetic Trip breakers. I have had several simply stop working at various times. They look fine and flip on and off like new, but something happens internally that doesn't close the switch. Perhaps check the output side of the main 110 volt breaker feeding the panel and work back (or forth) from there?

Very possibly a GFI breaker in there somewhere. Start from the panel and work out from there.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I agree with Robert, sounds like a GFI got tripped.

110 uses the common or neutral line. Could that have tripped without tripping the L1/L2 breakers?

also could the common wire be fried?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

there are breakers on the Ships Service for
    Microwave
    Compactor
    Refrigerator
    Outdoor Receptacles
    Port Lights
    Port Upper Level Recpt
    Stbd Upper Level Recpt
    Stbd Lights
    Port Lower Level Recpt
    Stbd Lower Level Recpt

None of these work. There is no one GFI that controls all of these separate 110 circuits.

Even the hard wired overhead 110 lights do not work?
    If something is supposed to trip for the hard wired appliances and 110 lights, it should be individual breakers on the Ships Service panel I would imagine. ;-(

I could understand a GFI or breaker trip for the individual plugs that the heaters were plugged into, but not the entire 110 service to the boat. And no GFI's are tripped, I checked?

Thanks.........I suppose the place to start would be behind the Ships Service panel?? Or any other suggestions?

If there is a breaker for just the 110 service somewhere I do not know about, if so, does anyone know where it could be? 120/240 VOLT SHIPS SERVICE is the only panel I see on the yacht. There is a Circuit Protector White Breaker on the Shoreline Switch Panel that when tripped shuts off ALL the power to the Ships Service, both 120 and 240. That does not trip by itself and stays on. Still when power to Ships Service Panel is lit, all 220 appliances work.

To trouble shoot, I have changed the Shoreline Power to another tower, switched Shoreline Power from Shoreline 1 to Shoreline 2, in all cases, there is proper amps getting to the Ships Service, yet same issues, 220 appliance work, no 110 anywhere.

Thanks again, Marty
    Last edited by BlueyedCaptain; 12-20-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    110 uses the common or neutral line. Could that have tripped without tripping the L1/L2 breakers?

also could the common wire be fried?
    Thanks, okay, now you are getting above my electrical experience. I have no idea what the common or neutral line tripped breaker could be?

Quote Originally Posted by sgharford View Post
    That stinks, hopefully you've got that warm spell we've been here in Northeast to compensate for loss of heat. I have older 1976 Hatteras with Airpax Magnetic Trip breakers. I have had several simply stop working at various times. They look fine and flip on and off like new, but something happens internally that doesn't close the switch. Perhaps check the output side of the main 110 volt breaker feeding the panel and work back (or forth) from there?
    The yacht is not a live aboard and is winterized. But I do occasionally stay on board during the winter when I visit Baltimore City where the yacht is docked which is a bit of drive from my home. Just a couple heaters will make it at least comfortable to stay on. I have been doing this for years with no problems?? Just checking to see if this has happened to anyone else? :-)

I would start by checking the output of the supply cord. Check each supply wire to ground and you should get 110-120 v on each one. Since 220 will operate without a neutral I suspect your neutral is bad somewhere in the main service. It could be in the cord, on the dock side or boat. there are diagrams that show which notch on your particular cord is positive and which is neutral. It may even have 4 prongs which gives you a neutral and grounding conductor.

On my panel, same vintage as yours, I have breakers for the isolation transformers, check those. I have had power to the panel, both red light indicators, but only power to 1 panel because one of the transformer switches tripped off.