Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Changing Coolant 1984MY

Sounds good Robert. My concern every time I have changed the coolant/anti-freeze on my boats has been that perhaps I am not getting out enough old coolant or flush material. In NJ we do have a freezing concern, therefore I use DD Powercool at a ratio of 50/50 as recommended. If in fact enough of the distilled flush water remains in the system, would it not compromise the 50/50 ratio and potentially be diluted enough to have a freeze up on those cold winter nights here in the northeast? The things that keep us awake nights worrying about our boats................

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I guess I am dumb, but what are the additives you add to plain water and where do you get them. Are they a DD product or a general product. Sounds to me you guys are recommending fresh water with additives in mild climates is that correct? John
    I've had my boat in Florida for the past 11 winters. I use distilled water with additives to prevent corrosion and I presume cavitation. I use the NAPA product, called NAPA cool if memory serves. NAPA also has the appropriate test strips for this. Eliminating the glycol improves heat transfer or cooling ability of the coolant. Of course this provides no freezing protection.

Bobk

Thanks for info. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I am about to change mine for first time too. Do y’all use a pump to get coolant into the system and if so what kind? My cap is from the ceiling and I see no way to easily pour the coolant in. Am thinking of buying some sort of electric pump

I use a pump Brian. Just be careful that it is not pumping faster than the heat exchanger can handle
    without overflowing. I have a small battery pump that you can buy (very cheap) which is designed to
    transfer kerosene into the space heaters. There are many different pumps that can be used for transferring
    coolant including a small hand operated bilge pump such as what are generally found in a dingy. Thankfully
    we don't need to change out the coolant very often like every year so we put up with the PITA job.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Sounds good Robert. My concern every time I have changed the coolant/anti-freeze on my boats has been that perhaps I am not getting out enough old coolant or flush material. In NJ we do have a freezing concern, therefore I use DD Powercool at a ratio of 50/50 as recommended. If in fact enough of the distilled flush water remains in the system, would it not compromise the 50/50 ratio and potentially be diluted enough to have a freeze up on those cold winter nights here in the northeast? The things that keep us awake nights worrying about our boats................

Walt
    Walt, there will be some residual water left in the manifolds. Draining them takes care of that. However when I fill mine up, I'm putting in 23-23 1/2 gallons. What may have been left behind in the manifolds is negligible.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Thanks Walter. I will get small one then. I have the hand pump and used it to remove oil from one of my transmissions through dip stick and after pumping 6 gallons I wish to avoid using it for the 20gallon coolant job lol