Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Davit Flex...how much is normal?

As per my other thread, I successfully lifted my whaler aboard today. I was watching closely how it loaded up as I know the whaler is heavy and likely near capacity. When coming under load, the tip of the davit comes down a good 6” as the whaler hangs. The arm itself is not bending. The deck plate is not moving. Where is the flex likely coming from? How much is normal? I did notice after the whaler was aboard and davit was lowered that I can get about the same abount of flex by putting my 160lb self over the end of the lifting arm. Again, zero flex in the deck or arm. Davit pivots smoothly. Nothing feels sloppy. Thoughts?

Re: Davit Flex...how much is normal?

I lift a 700# RIB with a 70's style Pipe welders, tube style davit it's likely flexing 4-5" maybe 6.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

6" is a lot I'd pull the gas tanks out before I'd pic the whaler. I've seen snapped davits at sailor man it's not pretty
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

It is likely that the flex is coming from the area between the deck plate and the brace or the bend. The closer you get to the deck plate, the higher the loads.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

If it's like mine the stand pipe goes through the deck down into a closet and fastens to the deck in the closet. I had the screws that hold the bottom plate rot out SS into AL and the only thing holding the davit support pole from kicking was the carpet it was glued to.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present