Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery Box Demolition 1985 32SF

Okay, I finally got to the battery box demolition project that has been on the todo list since I bought the boat. I knew the wood that housed the batteries was deteriorated in spots to the point I could push my finger through it if I wanted to...its that soft. Anyhow, my Dad took the honors of crawling into the bilge with his favorite tool....the sawzall. He cut the sides out first and then happened to stand up and put his feet on the platform which the batteries sat on and we heard this squishy noise....Oh boy...I knew that that was. So we finsihed removing the rest of the box by carefully cutting the base of the battery box out piece by piece and low and behold we found a compartment full of gallons of water and saturated flotattion foam....Nasty, nasty!!! The kinda smell that takes your breath away when you breath. So we donned the gloves and got the contractor trash bags and removed probably 6 or eight gallons of water and probably 200lbs of saturated foam and wood.

(If someone would tell me how to post pictures I think I have one to post.)

We left it open to air dry for the week and then we'll deal with the project when we get back down to the boat.

So I'm debating weather or not to rebuild the battery box the way Hatteras originally did. I don't know if I like the design...I don't want the compartment and new foam to get like it did before we ripped it apart. I was wondering about other places than the bilge floor for battery location. How about outboard of the engines? I was thinking of maybe putting a generator where the batters were so that I can keep that area of the bilge open other than a generator mounting assembly.

Other question is...should I replace the bit of flotation that was lost when I removed it because of being saturated? My Dad says foam has gotten better since Hatteras made this boat...we may have some better choices. Something more resistant to water.

For those of you who are epoxy fans like myself...The spots of the wooden battery box that Hatteras did impregnate with epoxy were a royal pain in the arse to cut. Tough as nails and the only spots that did not show signs of rot.

Re: Battery Box Demolition 1985 32SF

No opinions?

Do you really think that small chunk of foam will make a difference? What is it used for? From your description, I would not put it back in so it can collect and store water. If it is not for sound deadening, it's not going to float your boat. If you like the battery location? I would rebuild it so it will not trap water under it. Other than that I would think you could do as you like.

BILL

I didn't think the foam would make a difference in total flotation. Just didn't know if that particular foam section had any additional purposes other than flotation. I will most likely not replace the foam.

My real question is...Is there a better place for my 2 8D batteries other than down in the bilge between the two engines? Has anyone with a 32 relocated the batteries? Figured I'd ask before I rebuild the box...cus once its done its done!

2 8d batteries is alot for gas engines. Mine has one 8d which is considered the house battery and one 4d for the other engine. you may consider this arrangement to save a little space and some weight.

Although they may be in the way, batteries located between the engines are much easier to maintain than outboard of the engines. If you are small and don't mind climbing around to get to the outboard side, then you could relocate them, but I would think that unless you really need the space, I would keep them where they are.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I don't have a 32, mine is a 36, the factory boxes are fiberglass. One is between the engines, makes a handy seat. The other is outboard of the Stb. engine, a real pain. I'll eventually move the outboard one to the center. I have not noticed any foam on my boat at all? I bet you can buy battery boxes that will work fine and be resistant to rot.

Tony D

I guess clarifying the foam would make sense....I had the factory fiberglass boxes for the 8D's. They were glassed to a platform that has sides to it which keep the battery boxes themselves protected.(located in between the stringers.) The platform under the battery boxes was enclosed to the floor of the bilge with the exception of a pvc pipe running through it along the keel for drainage forward and aft of the battery box. Inside the enclosed compartment was extremely wet flotation foam and severl gallons of water because the sealant around the edges of the pvc failed. I ripped everything out. There's nothing but bare hull left. I think I'm just going to build a replacement battery box platform that is not enclosed at the bottom as the old one was. Sounds like putting the outboard of the engines isn't a good idea. Just thought the area might be good for a generator.

I used Blue Seas Systems boxes which are excellent. The Hatteras boxes are actually very good and they are glassed to the stringers, but the foaming underneath them was a bad idea from the factory if that is who did it. I saved one of my Hatteras boxes, which were in front of the engine- my starting batteries and genset battery are in it. (3xGr24) I have also used it for a storage area for a while when all the batteries were aft.

I think even with a smart charger it is good to be able to check the fluid in the batteries, so locating them outboard of the engines is not a great idea- it makes them impossible to get to and maintain. It is really a lousy area for anything that you will need to check on. Stuff you can't reach doesn't get serviced, even with the best intentions.

My 43 has 4 8D batteries 2 each outboard of the engines. It took 3 of my sons to get them in using 1/2in. rope. Not fun. It is also a 3 to 4 hour job to check the water level. I'm going to purchase an auto water system for the boat. Keep the batteries handy if you can.

BILL