Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: 43DC - 6kW Generator enough?

A generator doesn't have to be run fully loaded. Half load is enough to keep it in good shape.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I've got 2 x 30 amp connections as well - one for the 2 x 16,000 BTU A/C's and the other for main A/C breaker panel (hot water heater, stove, fridge, lights, etc). Each has it's own rotary switch to go from shore power to generator. So help me, I'm going to try the original MDJE one more season. If it craps out again and I can't take it no more I will go 8 to 9 KW as only time I do run it is to blast A/C and cook when anchoring. I wouldn't feel comfortable running generator overnight, open ports and windows have always been enough for me when anchoring overnight. The 2 KW inverter backed up by 160 amp alternator has always had plenty of juice to charge batteries, run fridge and TV for kids while underway, including running the microwave for a few minutes at a time. It also powers them overnight without issue hooked up to 2 Rolls Surrette 8D Batteries (10 years old this season and still testing good!). Seems pretty easy to do without AC when large windows on a 43DC open and induced breeze traveling at 17 knots. But then again my attitude is let them eat cake as I'm always driving the boat from above.

Proper generator load is easily solved by loading 3 or more women with hair dryers and curling irons and
    then announcing we will be going ashore for dinner in 3-5 hours. That works for about an hour when the boat goes dark.

Never to fear because you have a separate 9kw it is just that some women will have to wait around in bath robes until theirs
    enough power. That lasts about another hour until everything goes dark but the satellite dish,
    ice maker, and adult beverge refrigerator. Those and the toilet are the ESSENTIAL systems of
    boating and require inverter redundancy. You then charge the invertor with the 23KW and once
    everyone is too drunk or interested in getting dressed you announce all power is available and who wants to help with the Crane.

This strategy pays for the redundant equipment and systems in restaurant food and drink bills alone.

Although it is did cost me half off all of my money and stuff once.

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 MY with conversion)
    Tampa

You could also set up a coolant loop from the genset to the water heater. Not hard to do, and you will get as much free hot water as you can use.

I think a few of you missed my point its not to load genny down for its health it was what the panel can handle which is the same as my setup 7200 watts.
    So the 7.5 kw was perfect now if he gets a 9 K thats 1800 watts over anything he can pull through the panel. Or buy a 6K and be short 1200 watts but when Scott added everything he would run it came out to 6700 watts so he would only be 700 watts short of running everything full blast!
    Sounds to me he is like myself and when on the hook up here we don't really need a.c I only run it for a load then shut it all off.
    So do you spend more money for something you may need 2-4% of the time if we were in Fl I would say a 9K but up here I feel we don't need it and I would replace mine with a 6K.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    Proper generator load is easily solved by loading 3 or more women with hair dryers and curling irons and
    then announcing we will be going ashore for dinner in 3-5 hours. That works for about an hour when the boat goes dark.

Never to fear because you have a separate 9kw it is just that some women will have to wait around in bath robes until theirs
    enough power. That lasts about another hour until everything goes dark but the satellite dish,
    ice maker, and adult beverge refrigerator. Those and the toilet are the ESSENTIAL systems of
    boating and require inverter redundancy. You then charge the invertor with the 23KW and once
    everyone is too drunk or interested in getting dressed you announce all power is available and who wants to help with the Crane.

This strategy pays for the redundant equipment and systems in restaurant food and drink bills alone.

Although it is did cost me half off all of my money and stuff once.

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 MY with conversion)
    Tampa
    Post of the day. You sir, owe me a keyboard. (I spit coffee all over it).
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by sgharford View Post
    I've got 2 x 30 amp connections as well - one for the 2 x 16,000 BTU A/C's and the other for main A/C breaker panel (hot water heater, stove, fridge, lights, etc). Each has it's own rotary switch to go from shore power to generator. So help me, I'm going to try the original MDJE one more season. If it craps out again and I can't take it no more I will go 8 to 9 KW as only time I do run it is to blast A/C and cook when anchoring. I wouldn't feel comfortable running generator overnight, open ports and windows have always been enough for me when anchoring overnight. The 2 KW inverter backed up by 160 amp alternator has always had plenty of juice to charge batteries, run fridge and TV for kids while underway, including running the microwave for a few minutes at a time. It also powers them overnight without issue hooked up to 2 Rolls Surrette 8D Batteries (10 years old this season and still testing good!). Seems pretty easy to do without AC when large windows on a 43DC open and induced breeze traveling at 17 knots. But then again my attitude is let them eat cake as I'm always driving the boat from above.
    I used to cringe at the thought of starting the gen, largely because of the noise and vibration. So a few years ago I stripped all of the useless fiberglass insulation out of the sound shield and replaced it with 1" Soundown. That made a considerable difference in the noise, but obviously did nothing for the vibration, a source of noise in it's own right. So last spring I hauled the gen, replaced hoses, fix oil leaks and added a remote start switch in the galley, accompanied by oil pressure and coolant temp gauges. But the big difference was replacing the 40 year old rubber mounts (I bought all that Cummins SE had; 12 I think, so I have some if needed) AND added a second level of isolation by placing 4 low profile vibration isolators between the green Onan generator mounting platform and the ER deck. UNBELIVABLE!! It is as if I have a new gen. Old Shakey is MIA! Sometimes I start it just to not feel it. It brings a smile to my face. Other MDJE owners I have demonstrated it to are incredulous. When it's running I can place my hand on the sound shield or the mounting platform and feel modest but insignificant vibration. But on the ER deck below the gen; NOTHING!
    As far as choosing the correct vibration isolator, I called McMaster-Carr and they gave me the name of the company that manufactures the low profile ones that they sell. I called the company, got technical assistance based on the parameters; mostly weight and RPM, and about $40 later I am a happy MDJE owner. If anybody wants the part numbers I'll be happy to hook you up.
    Last edited by gbharrington; 11-29-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

Hello Greg, I would be interested in those part numbers of the mounts you used. I have mine out of the boat right now for some repairs and this would be the perfect time to do what you did.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

https://www.mcmaster.com/#64875K241 You will need 4

I also have 4 of the Onan 0402-0284 mounts if you cant find them through your local Cummins dealer.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

Hi Greg, Cummins does have the mounts but they must be made out of gold. The engine side mounts were about 30.00 apiece but the generator side mounts were over 200.00 each. I hope you got a better deal. I managed to get them at Onanparts .com for about 25.00 each, all four cormers.

Thanks for the part numbers
    Walt Hoover