Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Battery Charger - Repairable?

My 36 Hatt has a 40amp Sentry battery charger in it that started acting up at the end of last season.......It would only work on manual....when you set it to auto....nothing happens....Fuses are good.
    Do any of you know if there is a replacement part that might have gone bad or if there is anybody up here on the Great Lakes that can repair these?
    Thanks in advance!!!!

Re: Battery Charger - Repairable?

If it has a sensor wire to the house bank, make sure it's attached correctly and has continuity. If that's not it, sounds like it may need a new diode(s). If it can charge multiple banks and one charging output terminal is unused, switch the house bank to the unused terminal. I took my whole 30A battery charger out of the boat (about 40 lbs.) and mailed it to the factory where they fixed it to factory spec. It has worked perfectly for the past 2 years. Different brand (Newmar) but maybe Sentry does that too. Gotta hurry because Spring's almost here!

Doug
    Last edited by Nonchalant1; 03-26-2006 at 11:32 PM.

And I just called Guest when one of 3 banks died and they sent me a new charger next day.

I believe there was an article in Passageaker last month on repairing a ferroresonant battery charger, which most of these older ones are. It said there were two things which could fail after 1000s of hours--the capacator or the diode. Either could be replaced for five bucks or so. I'll try to find it, but the boat is full of grandchildren, and nothing is where I left it. (Come to think of it, I have the same problem when the kids are not here...)
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

The Sentry chargers are field repairable. All the parts are available. I repair them all the time. Any Cruisair dealer can do it. For that matter so can anyone with electrical knowledge.

6. Re: Battery Charger - Repairable?

There is a small board in there with a cutout circuit for full charge.

Make sure the sense wire is connected and has continuity. That's the biggie.

The board has nothing special on it and is easily repaired as well.... but whether its worth it is another matter. I ripped mine out and went with a Charles C series unit.

7. Battery Charger - Repairable?

The old ferroresonant chargers are taper chargers and so take a long time to charge batteries. A 40 amp smart charger, Charles, Xantrex True Charge or any other your choice, charges faster and is better for the batteries...It's a worthwhile upgrade if you use your batteries for house loads...for starting batteries they rarely are required to provide many amp hours...

I would use this as an opportunity to buy a modern charger. Your batteries will thank you. They will last longer and perform better. Either a Charles Marine, a Xantrex/Statpower, Pro Mariner will do fine. Sentry also has a modern line of hi-frequency smart chargers, but I haven't seen them yet.

Found the article. Ocean Navigator, March/April 2006, pg. 56, Battery Charger Repair by Chuck Husick. "You can't have have too many sources of well-regulated 12 volt power." Says it's easy to fix the diode or the capacitor, but not worth it if the transformer has burned out, unless factory can do it.

Good luck!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Hello, Stop where you are. I have tried the repair route and it is not the way to go. I also have a 36 Hatteras and have been installing 1 battery a year since 1999. I have tried the repair route. Recabled the batterycabling and disconnect pannels in the engine room. Hired thee marine electrical repair companies and everyone said all was fine. Rebuilt the Sentry charger and it checked out fine. This took alot of energy and some dollars and then one day the house battry blew up. That was that. So the long and short. Purchase a Zantrex True Charger 40 + or any multistage charger of your choise and your problem is over with. You will receive 5 years out of your battries and your back. I have had a lot of hands on experiance with a 36 ft 1984 ventage
    Hatteras so if I can be of help please contct me. Thankyou Tom Email tomc@tidewaterac.com, 910-343-1234