Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Single Side Band transcever

This is probably a question for Scott, but I respect all opinions. I was Given a SEA 222 SSB radio today. A friend stated if I was going to start cruising the Bahamas, I should have one. First, is this a good radio, and is it recommended to have one. I have more than enough room, and because of being a retired pilot, I have an FCC radio liscense.So, what do you think?Tim

Re: Single Side Band transcever

I installed a remote antenna system for a sat phone recently that I believe would do more than the SSB for a whole lot less power or trouble. It also has the option of adding a modem and is current technology.

Other than the monthly cost for the service I believe it's a better tool to have in the Bahamas.

SSB is not dead but the cost of installing it and the antenna tuner (required) with a good counterpoise is pretty steep if the copper strapping is not already there.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The old SEA units were good. I have one installed on my boat, and used one extensively while working in AK. Did you get the coupler/tuner with it? Sat comms are great, but if people that are looking for you don’t have a sat phone on their boat, they are not much good. Also just like VHF a SSB can be heard by others, not just the recipient, and direction finding equipment can be used. So more help may be available.May want to check, but a radio station licence and MROP (Marine Radio Operators Permit) May be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I installed a remote antenna system for a sat phone recently that I believe would do more than the SSB for a whole lot less power or trouble. It also has the option of adding a modem and is current technology.

Other than the monthly cost for the service I believe it's a better tool to have in the Bahamas.

SSB is not dead but the cost of installing it and the antenna tuner (required) with a good counterpoise is pretty steep if the copper strapping is not already there.
    As Scott said one of the most important things in the installation is the “ground” plane. When the big AM radios were made Illeagal in the states those of us that fished well offshore went to SSB. Most found out the side and was worthless without a proper ground plane. Hat in I think in the mid 70’s started glassing in a copper mesh in the cabin top under the bridge area. There was a lug exposed that the SSB was tied to. It’s not a ground. It becomes part of the antenna system to help “push” the signal out. My boat doesn’t have this and it took a while to come up with a solution. I ended up installing the largest bronze ground blocks I could buy.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

We used the copper foil tied to some below the waterline metal as a ground plane and it worked well. According to Gordon West, the West Coast SSB and Ham guru, all you need today with the good antenna tuners is to connect to one below the water thru hull for a ground plane, never tried it but he has proven it in actual operation. What do you think Scott?
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

The ground is very important and I'm not a guru but installed systems for coast guard inspections. The basics are a big copper ribbon to a dynaplate (as large as possible) as the counterpoise needs a ground and that's the best you can get without being attached to a ground cable .

It is not the best of anything if you think about it.

1) sat phones are private and secure.
    2) sat phones have modems available for text and email ...
    3) EPIRB's are better in a life or death situation.
    4) commercial fisherman in some areas and sailboats make up the majority of SSB users. I'm not confident either would be there for me in an emergency so I'd go back to the EPIRB.
    5) too often there's limited or no power to a disabled vessel. The SSB needs lots of power.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Naughty Lottie View Post
    The old SEA units were good. I have one installed on my boat, and used one extensively while working in AK. Did you get the coupler/tuner with it? Sat comms are great, but if people that are looking for you don’t have a sat phone on their boat, they are not much good. Also just like VHF a SSB can be heard by others, not just the recipient, and direction finding equipment can be used. So more help may be available.May want to check, but a radio station licence and MROP (Marine Radio Operators Permit) May be needed.
    Yes I did get the tuner with it. I do like Scott's idea also, but like I said I have it, it was free. It is either put it the closet, or install it. Have a great week,Tim

Or sell it to a blowboater.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I had recently cleaned up and rewired the HF post on the flybridge floor near the antenna tuning unit. I did not realise that there may have been a copper plate under the flybridge floor. Nor that such a plate might be a part of the antenna.

I did question why there was only a small wire going from the post to the HF radio, yet such large wires going from the post to the antenna tuner ground.

I have never worked out where the HF gound might be, of if in fact the boat ever had one. The HF was installed about 20 years ago by a PO, so it was not factory equipment. There is no earth plate on the bottom of the boat and I cannot see anywhere inside the hull where a copper coil is located.

Grounding Post.jpg
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 11-19-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Well I have had this radio for 2 years, and still have not had the time to mess with it.

Anybody want it? I am in Daytona, and visit my boat in Ft. Pierce every other weekend. I will deliver it. Or come pick it up.

Free if any body can put it to use. Hate to pitch it, but garage needs cleaning, Whole new batch of crap to store for many years that I do not use.

Have a great weekend,
    Tim
    Fish Tales 65c