Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Exhaust risers, used... any value?

We really starting to tear down the 8V71s to get them out of the boat. The risers don't look bad but they re about 15 years old. Any value or just trash?
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Exhaust risers, used... any value?

Not sure if anyone would be interested unless it’s an emergency. If you’re going to change them out most would go with new unless there is a money issue. I think it’s great your offering them up. I’ll await the answers from others.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

New engines! Now that's exciting. Just this morning I stopped by the Bus Garage at work and ogled at the eight engines sitting on pallets awaiting their new homes. Are yours like this one at YouTube?.. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GWYKy28HJFc
    Attached Images

Looks pretty close. So far I have only seen them with the shrink wrap on !

About that video... doesn't seem like very good idea to run new engines without air filter especially with that water being sorted out the exhaust!
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

😲 wow. Let’s see him once you get them installed. Maybe you should make one of those videos that shows a 53 doing 25 knots
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I ll be happy with 20/21 top and 17/18 cruise
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal, I think that 17-18 cruise with a few more knots top is a reasonable expectation....however, a
    friend of mine installed a pair of 450hp C's in his sportfish after removing a pair of 450 hp 6-71ti's and
    his boat ran like the roadrunner being chased. His cruise speed went up about 6 knots and top was about
    4 or 5 knots better. Same boat, same HP and running gear. I know the Detroit's weight much more but
    the performance difference was incredible. The fuel consumption was also vastly improved which encourged
    him to make more canyon runs off the Jersey shore. What's your WAG about a sea trial?

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hatt Craig View Post
    New engines! Now that's exciting. Just this morning I stopped by the Bus Garage at work and ogled at the eight engines sitting on pallets awaiting their new homes.
    Am I the only one that thinks these engines will be confused and start leaking oil very soon?
    Last edited by Avenger; 11-18-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Dropping weight will help. 671ti is about 500 lbs heavier than. The cummins but also higher up if it's the tib at 485.

The 8v71 is heavier but 425 hp (close to the cummins 450) is probably 1k lbs per engine difference. I think the 53 will still marginally plane if not overloaded but will not be a speed demon.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The new engines are 1885 lbs plus 161lbs for the ZF 280
    The 8V71s are 3130lbs plus 433lbs for the alison.

That s 3034lbs savings. Note that the TIs are 300lbs heavier...

I ve also taken off a lot of weight inside the boat. 100lbs here and 100lbs there all add up. The original tilt helm is about 150lbs... all the crap hatteras used under the master shower pan was another 100... partition between the master and Vip, vip closet... i m rebuildin the interior with lighter material as well. Also getting rid of a lot of the stuff accumulated over the years so when its all done th boat should be 6000lbs lighter.

She wont be a speed demon but i m hoping for the ability to get on plane at cruise.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat