Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
    jkp1 Guest

DD 6-71TI Stalls when Shifting Transmission

My port engine has developed a nasty habit of stalling when shifting the transmission. Occurs the worst possible times - like when maneuvering into a slip with a large group of onlookers.

What's puzzling is that it only happens after a long run and the engines are hot. Idle is set at 550 rpm and engine temp runs 165-175F. My temporary work around is to bump idle speed to 700 before shifting. It works, but I don't like the "thunk" as it drops into gear.

Dock chatter suggested maybe a line has fouled the prop (No, Checked an found prop & shaft clear), a miscalibrated tach, (I doubt it since it only happens when hot); or a fouled fuel cooler returning hot, low energy fuel to the tank (???)

Any suggestions?

Genesis Guest

Go through the entire tune

.... this kind of thing is USUALLY found in the tune, or there is a slight binding in the rack.

The latter is VERY BAD and needs immediate attention, as it can lead to a runaway if it binds up on you completely. The former is usually a matter of where the buffer screw is, but you have to go through the entire tune-up procedure to get this right, so don't try to cheat and play with the buffer screw without checking everything else.