Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

53' Haatteras MY - passage maker ? 1979 or 1984?

Hi All,

I am still searching for our live aboard passage maker (Caribbean trek). Currently looking at two 53' Hatteras MY, one is 1979 twin Detroit's (870 HP) but not stabilized and no bow thruster , the other a 1984 (twin Detroits 924 HP) looks to be same model, $75k more but has stabalizers/bow thruster. Both have similar engine hours, swings and roundabouts for each re the fit out and upgrades.

The 1979 looks to be in slightly better condition all down to TLC but the cost saving would be negated by having to install stabs and a thruster.

Welcome any input from the members which would swing this one way or the other - any really significant but not obvious differences between a 79 and an 1984?

Thanks, Rgds Graham

Re: 53' Haatteras MY - passage maker ? 1979 or 1984?

Both are great boats. Depending on how you plan to use and where you cruise will determine weather or not the stabilizer and Bow thruster are needed. I have both and use the Bow Thruster all the time. We are not ocean going boaters but wouldn’t attempt going out the gate unless we had stabilizers. The cost of both are considerable so take that into consideration. Look at the exterior paint. That could cost you 30 to 50k when needed. Lastly get them surveyed and go with their report. Best of luck. You will love either.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Do both have queens in the master cabin?

As a passagemaker I'd not look at the 53 my myself. It has a 15'10 beam and witbout stabilizers would be rocky and rolly.

I think your looking at the wrong boat for your use but what do I know.

I just did some work on a Kady Krogen and it's certainly more of a passagemaker than a 53 hatt.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Both are great boats. Depending on how you plan to use and where you cruise will determine weather or not the stabilizer and Bow thruster are needed. I have both and use the Bow Thruster all the time. We are not ocean going boaters but wouldn’t attempt going out the gate unless we had stabilizers. The cost of both are considerable so take that into consideration. Look at the exterior paint. That could cost you 30 to 50k when needed. Lastly get them surveyed and go with their report. Best of luck. You will love either.
    Thanks, yep survey is a must but wanted to come up with a decision on one of them, currently survey for Hull and engines are running at around $4k including haul out, not an issue but would prefer only spend it on one of the boats not both.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Do both have queens in the master cabin?As a passagemaker I'd not look at the 53 my myself. It has a 15'10 beam and witbout stabilizers would be rocky and rolly.I think your looking at the wrong boat for your use but what do I know.I just did some work on a Kady Krogen and it's certainly more of a passagemaker than a 53 hatt.
    Thanks Scott, yes agreed re a Krogen or an Outer Reef or Nordhavn but my budget is directing us to Hatteras or DeFever. Stabs are a must and will not see much change out of 60k to retrofit fins such as Naids then add another $15k for a bow thruster. Its whether a Hatteras MY vs the LRC will be the better option, but at the moment there are more MYs on the market. There is another limitation for the MY and that is the standard fuel tanks do not seem to exceed 6 to 700 gallons which limits range . Then we need to find somewhere to install a 3rd tank, bladders not a great workable option other than for a one time delivery crossing.

They werent made for passagemaking. Too high a COB and COB. They dont hold the fuel or the water and will not take the seas like a properly designed passagemaker.

Look at the 48 LRC or the older 48 Kady and similar.

Im a Hattteras guy but I know what works and what wont in that type of use. I spent months aboard ship sailing and living aboard and know the comfort of a motoryacht will not survive the passagemaking.

My friend (a broker I used to work with) just sold the Kady I was working on. Ill be back on it next week for electronics too. He finds the right boat for people instead of sitting on listings and waiting for the phone to ring. If you want I can get you in touch with him.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    They werent made for passagemaking. Too high a COB and COB. They dont hold the fuel or the water and will not take the seas like a properly designed passagemaker.Look at the 48 LRC or the older 48 Kady and similar.Im a Hattteras guy but I know what works and what wont in that type of use. I spent months aboard ship sailing and living aboard and know the comfort of a motoryacht will not survive the passagemaking.My friend (a broker I used to work with) just sold the Kady I was working on. Ill be back on it next week for electronics too. He finds the right boat for people instead of sitting on listings and waiting for the phone to ring. If you want I can get you in touch with him.
    Thanks Scott. Sure happy to chat with your broker. Our biggest crossing will be to get her down from Florida to Cayman, around 650 Miles, either via Cuba (can’t get insured ) or via Cancun for refill. Once in Cayman other than local trips to the sister islands (80 Miles) after a year or so we will start the trek. our longest legs will be to Jamaica (280 Miles ) before we head up to Dom Rep then hop to PR then USVI and BVI etc. average legs between islands 80 to 100 Miles, many much shorter. Only mention as our main priority is live aboard comfort in the local marina then shorter passage making hops , no plans for major runs. Still your points are valid the DeFever 53 LRC was high on the list as they appear to be designed more for passages than a Hatteras MY. But would have preferred to find Hatteras if possible given our 300k budget and the livable space in the Hatt.

See if either of the 53’s you are considering has a holding tank under the sole in the forward cabin. Ours had a 100 gallon tank there and it had been converted to a fuel tank. Get rid of those water hungry galley maid toilets and install either Vacuflush or Raritan Atlantic’s or Elegance and you can install a smaller holding tank. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Look at david pascoes article on the 53 my. He wrote about them as a successfully sold line for 20 years but not as great sea boats.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

He's talking about island hopping the Caribean not crossing oceans. Plenty of Hatteras MYs have done that as well as through the canal and up the West coast. I do consider stabilizers a must. Bow thruster a very nice to have but not necessary feature.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014