Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Re: 1964 Hatt Yacht-Fish 41 - Joining the club

"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble."

Henry Royce, engineer.

(As in Rolls Royce)
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

FWIW, that is what a knowledgeable person appreciates about a proper restoration. Anybody can bondo and paint over flaws and make something look pretty for a moment. It's the unseen, but essential details that make all the difference.

I, for one, appreciate that she is in the hands of such a capable custodian.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Very nice work. Avenger is right. I’ve seen a lot of Rube Goldberg crap on added onto boats with poor foundations. Ultimately, someone with pride in their projects will take the time to take it down and put it back without a lot of wheel reinventing. Always room for modernization, but there should always be time to think about what it’s going to look like down the road.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Were you able to get curved frames made up for those front windows flanking the center one? At least in the photos, they look curved.

No, I didn't go to the expense of curving glass but rather, used a matching 1/4" tinted acrylic that is hardened to prevent crazing. I'm sure at some point it'll craze .... but replacing it is still less expensive than curved glass. Just gotta be careful when cleaning, especially when salty.

Attached are some photos of the windows going in. A bit tricky especially the 9' sliding salon window.
    2020 Jun - Window install 5.jpg2020 Jun - Window install 3.jpg2020 Jun - window install 2.jpg

Up next: the swimstep. Cutting strips of teak, curving, epoxy & clamping with a finishing touch of stainless all-thread. I also fabricated new stainless swimstep brackets (5 total). A bit tricky to fab because each of them had a varying angle in relation to a curved transom. Thankfully, I'm smarter than the transom, but barely.
    IMG_8189.jpgIMG_8278.jpgIMG_8336.jpg

Attaching multi-colored underwater lights just above the new trim tabs.
    Attached Images

For the past 4 years, the sliding doors in the cockpit have been sheets of warping 3/4" ply. The first photo shows what that looked like. Yuck. I used hardwood & planed it to the proper thickness, epoxy'd and painted them w/ primer & Awlgrip. The doors have a dado which holds the new tinted glass and mahogany trim inside to lock it in place. It looks really clean. Rather than just have the door glass go halfway down as initially built, I allowed the glass to fill the door. From inside the salon, because you have so much glass, the view is awesome and let's you easily see the entire cockpit. Door hardware is from Emtek.
    IMG_6321.jpgIMG_8249.jpg

Damn that's beautiful work. What kind of engines does she have, again?

Found them in the first postings. She's already stunning, and not done yet.

She's got 454 Marine Power engines. I wish I had diesels but these engines had relatively low hours and with new top ends & a general overhaul, it was still less expensive than swapping them out. For now, it'll be fine but I'll keep diesel engines on my wish list. At the very least, I'll change them to EFI's when time and money permit.