Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Powder substance

I have a 73 double cabin MY.I seem to have a powder coming out of my engine room hatches insulation. I know there must be a fix without replacing. Help because it still looks alright except for the powder falling. Thanks Richard

Re: Powder substance

Prime and paint. Seals the dust in. Make sure to vacuum it clean and get all the grease and oil offer or you may have an adhesion problem.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks Seven what paint do you think to use? Did you have the same problem ? I will try it for sure.

Didn’t have this issue with my Hatteras but with my Chris Craft. I used (believe it or not) I used a water base interior smi gloss. The latex encapsulates the fibers and locks them down. Others may thing that crazy but I’ve been in the paint manufacturing business for 45 years. It works and it’s easy to clean. If you don’t like the sheen go with a low sheen. Either works. You will see the paint absorb in quickly. You may need two coats.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Angry Re: Powder substance

I also used it. I used a water base interior semi gloss. The latex encapsulates the fibers and locks them down.