Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Stabilizer fin bubble repair?

I have noticed a large bubble measuring perhaps 1' x 1' on our port Naiad stabilizer fin. Curious if others have ran into this issue. It likely has been there for some time.

Any ideas on what this should cost to repair? I already have new seals, bearing retainer and bolts etc. so the fin will be removed anyway.

20171023_002543479_iOS.jpg20171023_002547557_iOS.jpg

Re: Stabilizer fin bubble repair?

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    I have noticed a large bubble measuring perhaps 1' x 1' on our port Naiad stabilizer fin. Curious if others have ran into this issue. It likely has been there for some time.

Any ideas on what this should cost to repair? I already have new seals, bearing retainer and bolts etc. so the fin will be removed anyway.

Attachment 23619Attachment 23620
    That’s a new one for me. No clue but interested in hearing what the repair would be.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Did you check it with a moisture meter? Having one of mine dried out and epoxied over the winter from moisture inside of it. No bubble on mine though.

It is a very simple repair and a somewhat common problem. I've had three of them fixed.

The fin is constructed of a stainless shaft that you can see and within the fin there are at least two flat stainless cross bars. This is the framework. This is embedded in foam of the appropriate shape and that is glassed over. The repair was to grind out the bubble and repair with glass/epoxy, fair and repaint.

Bobk

Just like bottom repair on blisters. Thanks Bob..
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

6. Re: Stabilizer fin bubble repair?

Local fiberglass guy says 1000+ to fix this and that is with me bringing it to him? Does that seem absurd?

Are you in California?

If its a small bubble that has not gone through the skin its no big deal. Is there more to repair than just 1 blister?

If you have it stripped to bare fiberglass, Repair the blister, recoat with 6 or 8 coats of barrier coat and then repain and bring back to the boat maybe.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

8. Re: Stabilizer fin bubble repair?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Are you in California?

If its a small bubble that has not gone through the skin its no big deal. Is there more to repair than just 1 blister?

If you have it stripped to bare fiberglass, Repair the blister, recoat with 6 or 8 coats of barrier coat and then repain and bring back to the boat maybe.
    Washington, which is almost as bad as Cali.

Its a pretty large single bubble maybe 1-2 feet round from what I can tell so it may take some work. The area affected sounds hollow.

I though it was inches not feet. I don't know. Without seeing it I can't determine the extent of the examination if that's even what it is.

For a professional to spend 8 to 12 hours plus materials it's probably not bad for $1k.

Remember it needs to have all the barrier coat and paint put on after the glass and epoxy. It adds up.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I though it was inches not feet. I don't know. Without seeing it I can't determine the extent of the examination if that's even what it is.

For a professional to spend 8 to 12 hours plus materials it's probably not bad for $1k.

Remember it needs to have all the barrier coat and paint put on after the glass and epoxy. It adds up.
    Or fix it with VE and lay on an extra resin coat as the resin sets. That makes a better barrier than epoxy.
    I too thought it was inches. Two feet is more than the height of my fins.
    Bobk