Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SKAMMTOO Guest

INSURANCE

Just be careful, no matter who your carrier is , that you have fuel spill coverage. Not all carriers include this automatically in their policies.

K

rmaher Guest

Re: INSURANCE

That last post is worth repeating; be sure to have fuel spill coverage. As the owner of a fuel dock, I don't pump fuel but instead hand the nozzle to the boater. I can't get coverage (at least none that anyone would want to afford!) and most fueling facilities are set up the same way. If the boater is fueling the boat, the financial responsibility is passed to the boater. Federal law requires that any amount of spill that leaves any size sheen on the water must be reported to the spill response center from which a Coast Guard and/or Federal/State investigation may result. A good friend was fined $1000.00 for spilling less than one/half gallon of diesel while fueling - it is important to add his initial discourse with the Coast Guard representative sent to investigate was not a positive one for whatever reason!

Rob

Dick Guest

Re: INSURANCE

Just out of curiosity, and hopefully not a dumb question, but where does the fuel go? I always thought most evaporated. Which means that eventually, it comes down again in the form of rain, but does little damage. I never could understand why the coast guard would be interested in a half gallon floating in the water. It's not like the Valdez Alaska, but even after that massive spill, I think the environmentalists agree that there is no signif long lasting damage (but I haven't read anything about it lately, may be wrong on that as well).

Dick

PascalG Guest

fuel spills

it's a joke... actually .. it's a scam... revenue for the governemtn.... but also causes our insurance premiums and fuel price to go up...

gas or diesel evaporates quickly... it's not like heavy fuel that sinks ...

when I fill up my 53, if I don't reduce the flow there are tiny droplets escaping from the vents, barely visible, until they reach the water and look like a big bad slick...

technically, I'm liable... when in fact it's not even 1/2 cup...

pascal

Genesis Guest

A TEASPOON....

... of fuel will make a NASTY slick and can get you fined.

I have a "recovery bottle" that goes over my fuel vents when I'm filling, It catches any "spitting". That and standing at the fill and listening to the pipe tells me when she's nearly full and to shut it down before the automatic shutoff clicks.

mikep996 Guest

refueling

Whether it seems right or not, the law says that if the "spill" leaves a sheen on the water, you are required to call the Coast Guard. A few drops of diesel will do that - it's actually far worse as a "sheener" than gasoline which will very quickly evaporate. A gasoline "sheen" caused by a vent spit will disappear in a minute or so. The diesel sheen stays until it is absorbed by something.

I can verify from watching a refuel operation where maybe 1/2 cup of diesel went into the water...the feds aren't kidding. The results convinced me to do as Genesis does...use a catch can on the fuel vent and listen to the sound as the tank fills. I also use an absorbant "collar" around the fuel nozzle when I'm refueling - it catches any back-spray from the tank.

It's not worth a possible fine - the guy that dumped the 1/2 cup of diesel had to pay a $5000 fine and the cost of the marina's clean-up. I was shocked. When the vent spit, no one doing the fueling thought anything about it...until the police showed up.

Be very careful when fueling!

PascalG Guest

refueling...

yes, I know... problem on the 53 is that the vents are too low to on the hull to be able to reach them from the deck if you are not docked on that side...

I guess installing something on the inside to catch any fuel before it can reach the vent will be the solution... one more project on te list :-)

pascal

rufuschamblee Guest

catch can

Pascal,
    I also use a catch can--No Spill by Davis bought at West Marine. Vents on my 42C are also low and hard to reach. I attached a 24" broom handle to the can.

Rufus

jim rosenthal Guest

spilt fuel

There are a couple of different commercial products that are supposed to make it safer to fuel up...Racor makes something that goes in the vent line, I think, and whistles; when the whistling stops, time to shut the fuel off. (if I've got this right). Someone also makes something where the catch device actually locks onto the vent, which is nice, but you have to change a fair amount of plumbing to get their vent on the side of the boat. If you were painting it anyway, maybe...
    I use the David No-Spill that Pascal mentioned. If I keep an eye on it, it works okay so far. You have to loosen the black top of the No-Spill a little so air can escape. Loosen it too much and it falls in the water. Also make sure it is stuck well to the boat before you start fueling.
    Diesel will evaporate if it is left alone. I have heard that the problem is that it is seldom left alone- folks usually use Joy or something like that, which emulsifies it and then it goes to the bottom and stays there. or so I;ve heard.

Bob Bradley Guest

Sheen on the water

The fuel spill conversation got me thinking about one of my fishing techniques - using bunker (fish) oil mixed with my chum to put out a slick. If, as the placard on my boat states, "any slick" is illegal, I wonder if I could be fined for chumming.