Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. AC Thru Hull Scuppers?

I have been troubleshooting our march AC pump running dry for some time. On one of the older threads someone recommended scuppers/ scoops to pickup water when running.

We just pulled the Caprice out of the water and neither of the inlet through hulls have a scupper or a scoop. As far as we know it has been this way since 2011 when we bought the boat. Is this how Hatteras shipped the boat?

Can anyone recommend a scupper/scoop that will work? I am thinking it will go a long way to fix our run dry for very little time/cost .

Re: AC Thru Hull Scuppers?

They run dry when the boats running not at the dock is what your experiencing correct?

Scoops and wedges do help when the boats moving but do nothing while at the dock.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Usually the pick up is low enough that you won't be sucking air underway but using a South Bay strainer (wedge pick up with SS mesh) helps and most importantly reduces strainer clean ups. You can actually remove the internal strainer altogether
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

4. Re: AC Thru Hull Scuppers?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    They run dry when the boats running not at the dock is what your experiencing correct?

Scoops and wedges do help when the boats moving but do nothing while at the dock.
    Yes, but its not all the time. I run out in rough water and then it happens some of the time. Also when in come out of the lake and into salt it also runs dry. I think the scuppers would help for these scenarios.

5. Re: AC Thru Hull Scuppers?

Would something like these perko scoops work ok?

http://www.perko.com/catalog/underwa...coop_strainer/

The south bay strainer bodies with the slide out screens are easier to maintain than the screens that bolt on, if you go the south bay strainer route.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

7. Re: AC Thru Hull Scuppers?

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    The south bay strainer bodies with the slide out screens are easier to maintain than the screens that bolt on, if you go the south bay strainer route.
    I would switch but I have like new 5 year old groco strainers and thru hulls so there is no need to redo them now.

8. Re: AC Thru Hull Scuppers?

After a closer look it appears that this style of strainer was used after the thru hull R&R. We are going to switch it over to a scoop style for the AC pumps. I don't think these were a good choice!
    20171021_222910215_iOS.jpg

I put four rectangular scoop (south bay) style strainers from Buck Algonquin this past spring. They were inexpensive and easy to install. They worked flawlessly. I remover my old Gryco / Perko type sea strainers from the engine room and now have a bit more room.

Mark
    Lark of the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    Would something like these perko scoops work ok?

http://www.perko.com/catalog/underwa...coop_strainer/
    I had these added to mine with no issues.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California