Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 53c info

53c info

i was visting your site the last couple of days and just joined. I am currently looking at a 53c 79 with 892TI. i have ordered a survey for tuesday and think i should order an engine survey if tuesday goes good. not sure how to line up a dd person and what is a good or reasonable to pay? what should he ck for? documentation i got from owner says both were majored, one in 2001 and one in 2004. any questions i need to ask, things i should look for.

2. Re: 53c info

Ask for copies of the invoices on the majors, and provide them to the engine surveyor....

Re: 53c info

Where is the boat located? Maybe someone here could give you a recommendation for an engine surveyor.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

the boat is located in det, mi, i have copies of both invoices, several pages long. one is 28,000 the other was 26000 in 2001. the more i read about these engines the more afraid I get about the purchase. (maybe to many horror stories)

I wondered if you looked at this boat. I have, it's close to where I live. Super condition, none of the issues mentioned as with the 53. Smaller, newer, more modern. I really wanted to get it but for a few issues, it won't fit in the boat dock I own. It won't fit in the winter indoor storage area I have occupied since 1976, and it won't fit under one low bridge on the way down the Niagara River. I would have to take a lock and a canal, quite a pain. So, it's a no go for me, http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=69652&url=

Tony D

You could use Williams DD for engine survey. When I bought my boat in Detroit a couple of years ago I got a few other names for engine survey. I didn't end up getting an engine survey, but I may still have the list of names on the boat. I will look tomorrow. Maybe others will know of mechanics in the Detroit area for engine survey. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I find surveys to be less useful than most other people on this forum(just added expense for what I could probably tell already). That's just me though. Do what you feel comfortable with.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

yea i am kinda riding the fence as to paying for an engine survey. both engines have recent overhauls with receipts. after reading all the postings about 892's i think i could see or hear i serious problem. i guess i could cross that bridge after sea trails

8. 53c info

Boat looks in exceptional condition!!..
    I'd be interested if any 92 series owners think that cruising these engines at 1800 or 1900 RPM instead of 2,000 RPM would help extend engine life...if that was a concern you implied.
    As for checking the engines yourself, nothing beats following advice posted here...such things as coolant system expansion tank: any oil reidue on the underside of the expansion tank (finger in via radiator cap, any oil instruision floats on top of coolant), look,feel and smell of engine and transmission oil, start up characteristics and clean/smooth run at cruise RPM...and an oil analysis of engine and transmission oil/about $25 each...

i would like to know what rated RPM they should run up to, also at 1800 what should temp be? i am guessing 180-185. also for best economy i have heard that 1200RPM at 12knts is the best. fuel consumption rate? any info would be of great help.

Chris...I am a mechanic,(non diezel),. If there is any aspect I can help you with, I would be more than happy to help for no charge. I live in the Detroit area. PM me if you need anything.