Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

8v92ti Oil Selection & Allison Question

Got 2400 hrs on the port and 1700 hrs on the stbd. The mechanic put in SAE 30 at the last oil change.

The Spec says SAE40 and to use 30 "Only when the ambient temperatures and engine cranking capabilities result in difficult starting should SAE30 grade oil be used" So which weight would you all say? The engine cranks just fine.

Question 2

I was going to top off the stbd Allison M20 cause its low (no visible leaks) with SAE40 per the discussion on the forum. Temp was starting to climb on last trip.

Then I read about the oil seal leaking into the transmission problem, trying to educate myself before getting stumped and wondered why the mechanic would use 30 weight when everyone was saying the oil in the trans was 40.

So the oil in the Stbd Allison is showing below low, but still on the dip stick when cold. Forum research states should be above full when cold. So, how much oil should I put in?

If I continue to lose oil in the stbd Allision with no visible leaks, then maybe leaking into the coolant?

Thoughts?

Re: 8v92ti Oil Selection & Allison Question

It's not how many hours on the engines it's how many hours on the oil.

40 weight is used where temps dont drop below 40 or so.

As for the transmission it is usually measured running. Add until it hits the mark.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If your mechanic could not use the right oil maybe he can't read a dipstick either and didn't put enough oil in the gear? Do you have a delay when shifting forward? That s the first symptom of low level

I think if it was me I d so an oil change and put in the right oil just to be safe
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

No delay in shifting forward. I'll add oil this weekend. Does it go in the breather?

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    No delay in shifting forward. I'll add oil this weekend. Does it go in the breather?
    Yes, pull the breather cap to add.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I use SAE 40 DELO 100. SAE 40 Rotella T1 is also acceptable. Everyone should note (even my local oil distributor didn't know this) that DELO 400 no longer meets the specs of the Detroit Diesels. The higher ash content in 400 will lead to carbon buildup. Delo themselves issued a release on the new Delo 400 not being compatible for 2cycle diesels.

What I'm getting at is you should be just as, if not more, concerned with the oil type/spec he put in as you are with the weight.

30w Delo 400 would be bad IMO, I'd demand a change. 30w Delo 100 and you should be fine until the next change, I would not demand a change if delo 100 30w is what was used.

The Delo 100 and Rotella T1 are getting harder to find but Walmart usually has the Rotella T1 by the gallon And any Delo distributor can get the Delo 100 in 5gal buckets. The price is almost the same as Delo 400.

I think it goes without saying, but I'm going to say it anyways, you should NEVER use multi-grade oils (15w-40) in Detroits.

Here is a helpful link explaining it all and also references to other types/specs of oil.

http://www.tejascoach.com/tips.html

http://www.tejascoach.com/ddcoil.html
    Last edited by rustybucket; 10-12-2017 at 07:47 AM.