Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Galley bulkhead removal ,can it be done?

Hi I am brand new to the forums, I have owned several boats and yachts overs the years and am looking at purchasing a 1981 70' hatteras motor yacht, the no cockpit model , has anyone removed the galley bulkhead and opened up the galley to salon for an open concept floor plan , also considering removing the galley to pilot house bulkhead too, I assume they are structural and would need a naval architect ? I am also considering moving the galley aft to the salon aft deck bulkhead, the flybridge access is almost vertical ladder in the pilot house ,I am considering increasing the size of the opening and putting in a staircase ,any thoughts or ideas would be really appreciated Kind regards Matt

Re: Galley bulkhead removal ,can it be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattie69 View Post
    Hi I am brand new to the forums, I have owned several boats and yachts overs the years and am looking at purchasing a 1981 70' hatteras motor yacht, the no cockpit model , has anyone removed the galley bulkhead and opened up the galley to salon for an open concept floor plan , also considering removing the galley to pilot house bulkhead too, I assume they are structural and would need a naval architect ? I am also considering moving the galley aft to the salon aft deck bulkhead, the flybridge access is almost vertical ladder in the pilot house ,I am considering increasing the size of the opening and putting in a staircase ,any thoughts or ideas would be really appreciated Kind regards Matt
    Your model is called a motor yacht. If I were you I’d contact Hatterss directly and seek their advice. I know those walls are structural. Good luck with the remodel and welcome to the Forum.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I'm not so sure those are structural. That hardtop is molded as one piece and pretty stout. I'd bet you could remove those walls without any issue. The beam is the same as other models with no bulkheads. The 60MY of late 80's, early 90's had no interior walls. No walls in the 56MY of 1981 vintage. As stated, call Hatteras and get their opinion on it.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 10-10-2017 at 09:24 AM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Something to consider, if you plan on running at night with other people aboard you might not want to remove the wall between the galley and the pilot house. Light from the main saloon or galley makes it bad for your night vision. We have that problem with our 53MY that has no wall between the main saloon and the helm area. I don’t understand how most of the newer boats deal with this problem. Personally I like to have my bridge as dark as possible so I can see what is going on outside. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.