Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Expected top end of ‘83 60’ enclosed bridge SF with 12v92s

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    15 -16 kts for the 650 hp version maybe 19 for the 84-85 model years when they jacked the hp up to over 700. A few were repowered with 92’s but didn’t go a lot faster just burned more fuel. Once you get in over 5 fathoms of water the boat settles and slows down like Davey Jones is sucking you down. I’ve seen this on other boats but not as pronounced as these old 60c’s.
    Not to highjack the thread, but the 48 LRC displacement hull slows way down with less than 1 fathom of water under the keel and gets her best speed in the deeper waters. Totally different hull contours with totally different characteristics.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The open bridge 1978 60C that I run with has the 12v71s @650 and runs 19-20kts at cruise in fresh water. The enclosed bridge may be slower.
    that’s pretty fast for that boat. Most 60C with the enclosed bridge and 650HP 12V71s will run 20kts WOT when everything is perfect.
    Jack Sardina

Those are dry turbos so I’m thinking lower HP. The 1100HP is a 12V92TAB and has wet turbos. I’d expect around 24Kts WOT with 1100HP 12V92s. Seems a bit slow but a few I’ve seen with 12V92s claim that. I have a 65C with 1100hp 12V92TABs and she runs just shy of 27kts WOT. The 65 does seem to get better performance than the 60C.
    Jack Sardina

What Jack said. Some hulls no Mather how much hp you throw at them will only go so fast.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

What Jack said. Some hulls no Mather how much hp you throw at them will only go so fast.
    There’s a 60C out there with 1200HP MANs. Performance was much less than what I’d expect.
    Jack Sardina

I know Melody is a pretty bare bones boat but I find that really hard to believe unless the engines have been boosted to well over 800hp. For comparison there are a load of 53c’s out there with the 650hp 12’s and they have a hard time making 20kt cruise and are way lighter than the 60c. You sure it’s KTs not MPH?
    Its true (and no true yachtsman uses MPH). And it doesn't seem to matter how much fuel is in the tanks. She performs the same regardless. I just love how she comes up onto plane. The bow never rises. The whole boat just lifts up. I'd have to say this is one of Jack Hargrave's best designs.

If you ever get up this way, I'm sure Mark would take you for a ride and show you how she performs. Its a just a great boat.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 10-11-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Can we add a bulbous bow and see if it helps?

It sounds like it does not plane like most of our hearts but rides up on the wave level. Interesting how that's so different from most of the 34 to 52's I know well.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Can we add a bulbous bow and see if it helps?

It sounds like it does not plane like most of our hearts but rides up on the wave level. Interesting how that's so different from most of the 34 to 52's I know well.
    they plane nicely it just needs a lot of HP to get going. The 60C is a very big 60. The engines available were too small for the boat. My 65 is a stretched version of the 60 but runs much better although all the 65s had much bigger engines than the 60s. I’m sure a pair of Cats in the 1400HP range would get the 60C running nicely
    Jack Sardina