Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

New batteries are in.

I just got back from removing and replacing four 8D batteries. I imagine that the next time I have to do this, I will not do it solo. I'm going to ache for a week. But, at least they're in, and I won't have to worry about them 70 miles out this season. I wound up going with the NAPA commercial units at 1550 amps, for about $163 each.

Re: New batteries are in.

Remember to take the Advil ahead of time!

The next time I replace the four on "Beach Nut" I'm going to find me an extra 100 dollar bill and someone about 20 years old that needs some money. Have them take four out and put four in. All four of mine are on the outboard side of the port engine. Heck I'd probably pay 200 but don't tell anyone. I know exactly what you mean. Very tough job. Took me and a buddy all day to replace four batteries.
    captbuddy

Hey, Bob, the next time you have to do something like that, put the word out. About the time you were horsing in the batteries I was next door to you at O'Connor's automotive...

I'm always in your approximate area.

We should all put the word out when we are doing something that we should not be doing solo. It seems that we have many of us close together no matter which state we are in.

K

5. Re: New batteries are in.

I replaced my 8D's with group 24's last year just for that reason, 3 group 24's fit exactly into the 8D box. I paid 2 two strong back, weak minded teenagers to take the 8D's out. I did it myself 5 yrs ago and the cost of the chiropractor 3 times a week for a couple months convinced me to never do it again
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

On the other hand, I'll probably be able to hit the high notes in church Sunday. Capt K - where's O'connors? I wish I knew you were near. At 50, I was the youngest guy at CPYC this morning so I didn't have the heart to ask for help.

The first 2 in I did facing aft, and they weren't too bad. The worst was the third battery. My hatch is right outside of the cabin door, and I had to face forward for that third (and 4th) battery. As I lowered it into the bilge, I realized that my arms werent' long enough, and I knew that my L5S1 would not like me bending over with that weight, so I sort of followed it into the hold to guide it into place. Unfortunately, I forgot about the step into the cabin, and whacked my left eyebrow on it. First shiner I've had in many years, and I couldn't even hit the bassturd back.

Hello, Been there and replaced 8D battries in fact 1 a year since 1999. I rewired the battry cables and the disconect pannels in the engine room. I ordered the solid state board for the charger still loosing batteries. I adjusted and adjusted the pannel board. Hired 3 marine electricans and no one could find out what was going wrong. I finnaly found the problem. Do your self a favor as soon as possible install a smart charger you will receive 5 years use out of your battries! that is a fact I understand Pro Mariner has a smart charger for 4 battries and also you will save your starters. Any questions EMail tomcAtidewaterac.com or 910-343-1234

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the same from napa at 158.99 ea here in N.J. Will be throwing my back out Sat. morning. 1550 amps ea.

Napa batteries seem to be pretty good. We have been using them in our quarry trucks for the past 8 years or so and the have held up well. The few problem ones that we have had were replaced by Napa at no charge. The price seems reasonable for the life you get out of them. They are not the best you can buy, but they are also not the most expensive.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI