Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Detroit Diesel 16v92 DDEC 1993 with 4,000 hours.....

The goofy RV guys that love their DDEC engines claim that every so often, one can find a pro-link scan tool with proper DDEC cartridges (not sure if DDEC or II III or IV) and it allows lots of data checking and has a cylinder "drop-out" test to shut off injectors to see if one is not firing.

You can also take an infared gun and check out outlet temp of each cylinder and ensure all are close in temp.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I just changed the coolant in both engines as one looked like pond water or worse but the other was fairly clean but didn't test great. I put in the blue coolant that has a cleaning additive in it and they say due to the lessor glycall level cools the engine better. You have to keep her in heated storage up here to use it but she was going into heated storage anyway. I do have the DDEC reading tool on the boat in FL so I could bring it back up with me in the spring. The boat has been in fresh water for about 15 or 20 years.

I just changed the coolant in both engines as one looked like pond water or worse but the other was fairly clean but didn't test great. I put in the blue coolant that has a cleaning additive in it and they say due to the lessor glycall level cools the engine better. You have to keep her in heated storage up here to use it but she was going into heated storage anyway. I do have the DDEC reading tool on the boat in FL so I could bring it back up with me in the spring. The boat has been in fresh water for about 15 or 20 years.

I would be very surprised if the guy was able to run these engines for 4000 hrs without regular maintenance. It's possible that if you were to change all of the injectors, you would end up with ones failing more than if you stayed with the ones that are working. If an injector stops working properly, you should notice the decrease in performance or increase in smoke so you will know.

I would do normal maintenance and wait for something to come up. It will soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    That's what I would do~!
    Quote Originally Posted by northshoreone View Post
    I talked to my Detroit DDEC guy in FL this afternoon about the engines and he said that its allot of hours on those cylinder liners! He also said that the smoke at start up was not a big deal and he would run it as is until it HAS to be rebuilt. He said that adjusting the valves would give very marginal performance change and if there was an injector issue it would already be apparent. He also stated that at rebuild you would have to change injectors again to get the engine warranty as stated here in a previous post. That being said, it looks like I run her till she drop's!

My small input on this. I believe the DDEC's were still 2 cycle engines. My only input would be to have all the airbox covers gaskets inspected and/or replaced. A Detroit Diesel with less than optimal airbox pressure, if as if it has ashma- it can't breath! The 2 cycle DD requires good airbox pressure and it certainly could not hurt, to replace any or all that are found leaking. The gaskets are cheap and throw in the copper washers, if desired.

The WWW techs should have various pressure readings, esp. the airbox at various rpms.

My 2CW....
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

6. Re: Detroit Diesel 16v92 DDEC 1993 with 4,000 hours.....

On my 1996 16-92s, I get the valves adjusted and the injector height set every year or so. Never more than 18 months. The injectors are sent out to RPM in Fort Lauderdale for inspection and cleaning. If the injectors are good, there is no reason to change them out at rebuild time.

If the temps are down below 70, I run the block heaters and have no smoke issues. The engine goes into half engine smoke control rather quickly after startup so if you are getting excessive white smoke, the injectors probably require attention.