Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Looking for Halon helm panel light

This is a discussion of installed HALON fire suppression. Read the first few posts again. Please stop confusing the discussion by randomly using data about other agents.

Let's stay with the claim of a 10 second restart on the automatic shutdown. Show me and the other members the valid basis for that claim, on a Halon charged system.

No one should mislead readers that a Halon shutdown will allow a restart after 10 seconds.

Pete

re read post #29.

Call the manufacturer. They will surely know the answer.

From what I remember the 10 seconds is the time to discharge and fill the engine room.

The restart is based on hitting the override and turning the key.

Can you do all that in 10 seconds?

FWIW the fire may be out and start again if you restart the engine that was the source of the fire. Your supposed to check the er first.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Scott, it is your claim that restart can be accomplished after 10 seconds, not mine. I am the person disagreeing. Maybe a reread of the entire thread would help.

At least stay consistent with your opinion. Checkout your post #18.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 10-09-2017 at 11:04 AM.

OK you win. They wont restart ever. Once Halon is released into the atmosphere all diesels will stop. forever and ever.

Kind of like an emp for boats.

I will still stick by my statement that the engines can be restarted in 10 seconds from the time of shutdown. Unless you do not hit the override then they wont restart.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

See A-2 on the third page...

http://www.gulfwidesafety.com/gws/do...2_chapter6.pdf

It even states that in some cases engine speed could actually increase with halon
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Dont confuse the issue with facts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UmmbsGp57g
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    OK you win. They wont restart ever. Once Halon is released into the atmosphere all diesels will stop. forever and ever.

Kind of like an emp for boats.

I will still stick by my statement that the engines can be restarted in 10 seconds from the time of shutdown. Unless you do not hit the override then they wont restart.
    Do I sense a juvenile tantrum?

Pete

did you call the manufacturer and ask or are you going to stick with your opinion even though it's wrong because you can't accept the fact you made a mistake
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    See A-2 on the third page...

http://www.gulfwidesafety.com/gws/do...2_chapter6.pdf

It even states that in some cases engine speed could actually increase with halon
    May I respectively suggest a critical reread of the section. It addresses the continuing running of a diesel during the discharge of the Halon. Once again the response I receive fails to address the parameters under discussion, specifically the automatic shutdown of the DD by the Halon system, followed by 10 seconds delay, and then an attempted restart.

The scenario offered makes the point that the continuing intake airflow of the engines will dilute the concentration of Halon, thus not extinguishing the target fire. I think if the concentration will not suppress the combustion of the fire source in this circumstance, it is understandable that it will not suppress the internal combustion in the engine either.

I welcome valid data on this scenario. Someone may want to start a new thread on other Halon scenarios.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    did you call the manufacturer and ask or are you going to stick with your opinion even though it's wrong because you can't accept the fact you made a mistake
    Debate rules place the burden of proof for a claim on the party making the claim, that is you. I assume you have a telephone that can serve that purpose. So, I will await the substantiation of your claim in post #18, not any other set of circumstances.

Pete