Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Spray from vent while filling fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    I use a 2foot piece of brake line un cut put it down beside the fill hose lets the air out. It will whisle or make a air sound .I am in the penalty box from a gurgle at Southport Mariner At Southport. Two young boys rote me up . It could not have been a 1/2 thimbleand it ran down beside the boat before i could get a rag on it made a slick about the size of two 1 dollar bills. I got a ticket and a response from the feds put on probation for 1 year. If i contest it was a automatic 10,000 fine. I took the penalty box for 1 year out now.
    That’s a really bad break - I assume you left those attendants a nice tip. My vent is above the swim platform, so easily accessible. I never fill up to the top, but just in case, I tape a folded piece of oil diaper to the hull under the vent with painter’s tape. Any little spit gets caught, and I just pull it off when done and give it to the attendant. Did it first on my bay boat, which I do fill up - sometimes it spits before the gurgle really changes tone.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    I use a 2foot piece of brake line un cut put it down beside the fill hose lets the air out. It will whisle or make a air sound .
    I am in the penalty box from a gurgle at Southport Mariner At Southport. Two young boys rote me up . It could not have been a 1/2 thimble
    and it ran down beside the boat before i could get a rag on it made a slick about the size of two 1 dollar bills. I got a ticket and a response from the feds put on probation for 1 year.
    If i contest it was a automatic 10,000 fine. I took the penalty box for 1 year out now.
    1, Always pull up to an alongside fuel dock with the fills and vents on the outside
    2, If there are guys there in uniforms with clip boards leave till they go away.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Was on the new G-Force (64' Caison custom carolina boat) this summer and there was a small tank built into the vent steam for capturing excess fuel, sort of like a catch can which drains back to the tank. Should have investigated a little more and also taken a picture but I was distracted and blown away by how perfect the boat is.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

There is also an external device called a David No-Spill which sticks to the side of the hull and catches overflow. Very effective.

This is a very timely thread for me as I have been questioned by marina personnel the last two fill ups about spray back thru vent. Are the Racor Lifeguard devices one size fits all? ( how is that for a rookie question) I am just trying to figure out how a 4" diameter device fits into or is applied to a vent line or fill line.

Thanks
    Jim

This is a very timely thread for me as I have been questioned by marina personnel the last two fill ups about spray back thru vent. &nbsp;Are the Racor Lifeguard devices one size fits all? ( how is that for a rookie question) &nbsp;I am just trying to figure out how a 4" diameter device fits into or is applied to a vent line or fill line.<br><br>Thanks<br>Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    This is a very timely thread for me as I have been questioned by marina personnel the last two fill ups about spray back thru vent. Are the Racor Lifeguard devices one size fits all? ( how is that for a rookie question) I am just trying to figure out how a 4" diameter device fits into or is applied to a vent line or fill line.

Thanks
    Jim
    They have a hose barb on each end to fit the vent hose. I think the common size is 5/8". They may also be available with different barb sizes.