Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spray from vent while filling fuel

Does anyone else get this? It's annoying. On my 1000 gallon tank, after about the 900 gallon mark fuel starts sputtering from the vent line unless I slow the input down to a trickle. Does anyone else experience this? Any solutions I haven't considered?

Re: Spray from vent while filling fuel

One solution is to reroute the vent so you can catch the spills. I intend to do that on my 53 which has the vents on the hull side in the port ER. I can easily extend the vents up to a point above deck next to the fillers on the house side. It s a bit of work but worth it. This way I can catch the spitting in a container

There are some gadgets you can attach with suction cups on the hull to catch any spill, but that only works when you are docked on that side. I ve also seen devices you insert in the vent line to catch fuel spotting up
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We installed Racor Lifeguards in all of our vent lines, stopped 99+% of any vent spray/splatter. Had the same issue on our Carolina Custom CC, Lifeguards fixed up the issue there too.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Lifeguards look like a great solution. Expensive little things, but why am I not surprised? Definitely looks like the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
    Lifeguards look like a great solution. Expensive little things, but why am I not surprised? Definitely looks like the way to go.
    they’re a whole lot cheaper than a fine for fuel spill. Anytime you can find something useful for the boat that’s under $1000 it’s a win. Under $100 is like hitting the lottery.
    Jack Sardina

I installed these on our Hat in 1987. The work great and have never required any maintenance. However, when the tank is near full and they begin to shutoff vent flow the air in the tank must exit through the fill pipe. If you listen closely you can hear a change in the sound of fuel flowing though the fill pipe. If you slow the nozzle flow when you hear the change all is good. If you don't you get an eruption of fuel out of the fill port - and allot bigger mess and spill than spitting from the vent.

I modified a mechanics stethoscope to listen to the fill pipe while fueling. It's solves the problem of a noisy fuel dock and avoids having to put my ear to the fill pipe near the end of fueling.

I use a 2foot piece of brake line un cut put it down beside the fill hose lets the air out. It will whisle or make a air sound .
    I am in the penalty box from a gurgle at Southport Mariner At Southport. Two young boys rote me up . It could not have been a 1/2 thimble
    and it ran down beside the boat before i could get a rag on it made a slick about the size of two 1 dollar bills. I got a ticket and a response from the feds put on probation for 1 year.
    If i contest it was a automatic 10,000 fine. I took the penalty box for 1 year out now.

smaller boats vent into the fill pipe right at the deck (no vent in the side of the hull) somebody should retrofit this to larger diesel fills in a flush deck
    1968 41c 671n's "lisaann"
    1985 21 superboat 250 merc
    1979 20' seacraft 150 johnny
    1994 10' caribe 25 merc

Quote Originally Posted by lisaann View Post
    smaller boats vent into the fill pipe right at the deck (no vent in the side of the hull) somebody should retrofit this to larger diesel fills in a flush deck
    https://greatlakesskipper.com/southc...ck-fill-filler

click here and get your pocket book out

thats pennies compared to a fine
    1968 41c 671n's "lisaann"
    1985 21 superboat 250 merc
    1979 20' seacraft 150 johnny
    1994 10' caribe 25 merc