Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 60 enclosed bridge fuel gauge

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
    Thanks. I do have an impact gun but my portable compressor won’t last more than a couple of seconds with it. I also have a heat gun and mapp gas torch but I don’t think I will be torching anything. Thanks for the advice! I will post pics when I get it out.
    If you have a 20 volt ratchet screw driver you will be surprised how strong they are. I purchased a adapter for the socket 21/2 inch maybe 2 bucks at the local Ace hardware store
    Mine were stuck also got a socket and adapter and with the Dewalt hammer screwdriver and fully charged battery it took it off. (not right off but with in a few .

https://www.cpopowertools.com/on/dem...art?ref=googaw

If you do not have a hammer screw driver GET IT IT IS GRATE AROUND THE BOAT for man size jobs and lite work. Better than sliced cheese. Get the 20volt stuff be careful it will ring off bolts and screws.
    I watched guys putting in a sea wall using a 1/2 drive hammer drill put in back ties and lag bolts with little or no effort. I had to have one of those went right to lowes. I like the battery operated stuff. I pass on corded ones.

https://search.aol.com/aol/search?q=..._it=loki-tb-sb
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 10-03-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Tim,

Great advice!

Thanks.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    Tim,

Great advice!

Thanks.

Jon
    After you get it you will thank me again. Good luck with your new ride. FYI you can convert the fuel gages to electric
    with a call to Sams. I did it because the gauges were hard to get to. They are electric now and on the bridge.

Let us know how it all worked out.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Bought the 2.5” socket today. It’s a beast and is 1” drive. I also got a reducer to adapt to 3/4” drive. I can’t imagine turning this thing with an electric impact. Technology has come a long way.

I just saw a diagram showing the nut as 2 3/8 but in this thread it was mentioned as 2 1/2. How confident are we that it’s 2.5?

I just got to the boat an measured. My apologies. It is 2 3/8. It's been a few years and I thought it was 2 1/2. Hope I haven't caused you any trouble.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

On the contrary you saved me a trip. Thank you.

Just wanted to thank the forum. Took 10 minutes to complete the job right. I spoke to the previous owner who told me to just bang on it with a gaff during fill up. My gauge wasn’t overly tight with the giant breaker bar. Took only a few minutes to wipe the rods thoroughly and examine, and in my case one of the outer rods was bowing enough to bind the float. Bent it by hand and it’s loose as a goose now. Literally 10 minutes or less to fix,and I have a satisfying smile imagining how long she’s meone else put off fixing this and opted to bang on it to get a good reading. Thanks for the advice.

Great to hear. Congrats
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California