Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Murphy Mechanical Temperature Gauge

I just installed two Murphy Mechanical temperature gauges on the flybridge of my Chris Craft 422 powered by twin Detroit diesel 6V92TA engines. The installation required 30 ft of capillary tube. After warming up the engines at the dock to about 140F measured by my Stewart & Warner mech gauges in the engine room, the new Murphy gauges did not move off the low side pin. It seems that installations over 5 feet in height require a special order, this was found in the trouble shooting section of the installation instructions. I am waiting for recommendations from the manufacture on what to do. It was a real task to run the 30' of tube from the fly bridge to the engines. The height of my dash board is approximatly 11 feet above the engines. Any one experienced these problems. Thanks, Joe

Re: Murphy Mechanical Temperature Gauge

There's no easy fix. You need the right gauge.

If you drop them down to about the same level as the engines they'll work. Its physics.

I use them mostly in engine rooms as local gauges with an alarm switch for larger boats and commercial vessels.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have mechanical temperature gauges at both helms. During installation care must be made to not cause any tight radius bends and no kinks.

The only electric gauges I have are volts amps.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I was very careful not to have any sharp bends and used long radius bends in the installation. The S&W engine room mech gauges work fine but they are at the engine height.
    Thanks for the reply, Joe

Surprised someone didn't already say this. "Murphy's Law"
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by joesig View Post
    I was very careful not to have any sharp bends and used long radius bends in the installation. The S&W engine room mech gauges work fine but they are at the engine height.
    Thanks for the reply, Joe
    When installing my bridge temp gauges I didn't give any thought to the height, about 14'. If it can be an issue, I didn't have one.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I can see how 50 years ago electrical temp and press gauges may have been a little unreliable but nowadays why bother?

I teed in a mechanical oil pressure gauge on a pair of 27.5 Onan as a backup to the electrical senders and guess what ... one has already failed Not worth running hoses and capillary tubes... just carry spare sensors on board
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I see no use for mechanical gauges at all.

Electrical gauges/sender backed up with a switch pressure and temp switch for alarms.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by joesig View Post
    I just installed two Murphy Mechanical temperature gauges on the flybridge of my Chris Craft 422 powered by twin Detroit diesel 6V92TA engines. The installation required 30 ft of capillary tube. After warming up the engines at the dock to about 140F measured by my Stewart & Warner mech gauges in the engine room, the new Murphy gauges did not move off the low side pin. It seems that installations over 5 feet in height require a special order, this was found in the trouble shooting section of the installation instructions. I am waiting for recommendations from the manufacture on what to do. It was a real task to run the 30' of tube from the fly bridge to the engines. The height of my dash board is approximatly 11 feet above the engines. Any one experienced these problems. Thanks, Joe
    The Murphy Gauge factory representative called me and said a special capillary tube and gauge assembly would have to be supplied for my application of 11' above the engine sensor location. This would be at an additional charge, he didn't have the actual cost at the time of the call. I decided to remove the gauges and send them back for a refund. I think I will install electric gauges in the two holes I drilled in my dash. Joe