Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Exhaust hose leak

Been worried about the "copper" tube also.......
    And, why/how did the hose have/get a hole?
    And, don't forget about the other side.......
    And, in reference to a previous thread earlier this week, this is why I like silicone hose.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

You would think that the rubber hose would out last copper.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have a new 6" hose without the wire and even trimmed the inside with utility knife so it's an angle but it just won't get over the copper. I'll give the boiling water and hair dryer ideas a shot to see if that will expand the hose enough. Copper pipe is in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggyturtle View Post
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I have a new 6" hose without the wire and even trimmed the inside with utility knife so it's an angle but it just won't get over the copper. I'll give the boiling water and hair dryer ideas a shot to see if that will expand the hose enough. Copper pipe is in great shape.
    Leave it in the boiling water a few minutes and smear some silicone grease on the pipe.

Bobk

And wear gloves that hose will be hot.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

6 inch copper tube is 6.125 OF.

If it was a custom part made for the boat they probably didn't realize the difference until they tried to fit it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Update, I found a silicone tube by Trident Marine on Amazon. Got it on to one side of the copper, but only about 1" before it wouldn't budge. Will try silicone spray and a hair dryer to get it on further so I can drop the other side (copper pipe) and then slide it on.

Spray lube not likely to do much. Same for hair dryer. I think you need a heat gun. Boiling water would be a good starting point. It will go on.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Good call on the boiling water Robert.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Heat gun for sure and soap or a lubricant. In my experience if it’s already on 1” you are better off removing it and heating from the inside of the hose and starting again all at once. Heating while it’s on and already formed to the tube will be difficult to budge. That silicone hose is like a rubber band.