Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exhaust hose leak

I discovered a leak in the rubber hose that connects the two separate pieces of exhaust pipe on the starboard engine (located under the sink in the aft cabin). This boat is new to me so I am still learning but apparently this pipe sits at/just below the water line and also discharges the fresh water that was used to cool the engine. Due to the exhaust sitting at/below the water line, fresh water was coming back into the pipe and leaking through the hole at the fitting. I was told this was an original part.

Long story short, I went out and bought a 6" hose to replace the leaking one but it is too small by 1/8th for the copper exhaust pipe has an outer diameter of 6 and 1/16".

Does anyone know what this specific section of hose/fitting is called? Searching the catalog online, I didn't see what I was looking for and wanted some advice before calling the warehouse.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Shaggyturtle; 09-15-2017 at 08:57 AM.

Re: Exhaust hose leak

Forgot to mention, it is the 1966 41' Twin Cabin if that helps out with suggestions on part name or work arounds

Not sure where you can get the hose but until you find it you might want to patch it with that new under water tape you see in TV.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Even hard rubber hose like exhaust hose will stretch over the fitting if it is heated. Try holding the end in a pot of boiling water for a few seconds. Then shove it on.
    Capt. Rob

I've used a heat gun and hair dryers in the past. Get the hose hot. Wear gloves.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Ive never seen 6 1/8 hose. It's 6 inch. It will stretch especially when hot.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Silicon spray does wonders with slipping rubber hose over fittings.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Does your new hose have wire in it? I've watched people pull out some wire and cut it off to allow it to "stretch" a little.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I just replaced mine. 8". I bought the hose with wire and couldn't for the life of me get it onto the fiberglass tube. I tried heat gun and dish soap. It wouldn't go in more then an inch. And it needed to go on at least 6-8 inch. I then switched to the hose with out wire and not a problem. Since I was just connecting to tubes together and the fact that hatteras didn't use hose with wire I figured I was good to go. Now I'm stuck with a few feet of hose at 65 ft. Oh well that's boating.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

If it's a relatively straight shot it doesn't need a wire. What kind of shape is the copper tube in?