Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dock lines for storm conditions

With a few days to prepare here in Fl, I thought a discussion on how to tie and run dock lines could benefit myself and others. Double lines of equal length, run diagonal and crossed, how to account for line stretch etc.
    any and all wisdom welcome. Thanks Capt. Rob

Re: Dock lines for storm conditions

Use snubbers where possible. I also cut garden hose and run the lines through it. I put the hose where ever there could be rubbing. The way you have the lines set is perfect. Good luck with the storm.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I've found that standard three strand nylon line to be the most storm friendly. It will stretch and offers a sort of cushion as the boat takes a beating. I avoid braided dock lines, while stronger they don't give as much and will actually snap when an abrupt large load is applied.
    1988 Canoe Cove 53 "Lilo Honu"
    1984 Outrage Whaler 22 "Conchyjodyoos"
    Previously owned Hatt 36c

No! Rubber hose no good on synthetic line. Stretching heats line, rubber holds heat and line melts through. I use firehouse; strip out inner rubber tube and then strip out the two layers of fabric. Got plenty if you're in Charleston. Four point moor plus additional if you can. This is from Matthew last year. It was Cat 1. Put every line on and on every cleat and hope for the best.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Agreed. There are nylon covers with Velcro that work pretty well, also, but I haven't seen them after a real storm- yet.

Do any of our Florida members haul out for a hurricane such as this one, or is that choice not available or not recommended there?

Firehose: Great Chaffing gear. Strip out inner rubber tube, then strip out inner fabric layer and it goes twice as far.

Unknown.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Agreed. There are nylon covers with Velcro that work pretty well, also, but I haven't seen them after a real storm- yet.

Do any of our Florida members haul out for a hurricane such as this one, or is that choice not available or not recommended there?
    Haul out options are tough to come by. I tried to pay my yard up front annually just to reserve me a spot, no dice.
    1988 Canoe Cove 53 "Lilo Honu"
    1984 Outrage Whaler 22 "Conchyjodyoos"
    Previously owned Hatt 36c

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    No! Rubber hose no good on synthetic line. Stretching heats line, rubber holds heat and line melts through. I use firehouse; strip out inner rubber tube and then strip out the two layers of fabric. Got plenty if you're in Charleston. Four point moor plus additional if you can. This is from Matthew last year. It was Cat 1. Put every line on and on every cleat and hope for the best.
    I've never been in storms like you guys are expecting. The burning hose is new to me. Sorry
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I did experience extreme line stretch in 2004 storms. That was was only 80 mph gusts.
    My 34 footer was cross tied in a canal and my 30 ft lines stretched 6 ft. Putting the boat within 3 ft of the concrete sea walls. Now my 43 footer is in a slip with only 3 ft on either side to piling sand finger dock.
    :-/

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post

Jim, we have hurricane clubs or plans down here. The idea is pay for the privilage to have place in line to be hauled. They give you a window in time where you have to show up. Then there still are additional charges. Most all the storms within 200 miles of Miami have fallen between 8/15-10/15, so I chose to haul 8/15 for two months. The cost is close to what the club plan plus the extra expense and I'll get some maintenance and bottom job done at the same time..

Bobk