Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: What's everybody in Fla doing about Irma?

I couldn't agree with you two more. This thing is a monster and waiting too long could be a dangerous mistake. Even if it weakens before hitting Fl it most likely will still be a powerful cat 5. This one reminds me of Sandy. I kept watching it and saying to myself "It can't be that bad." This storm has the potential of being the worse in US history. The next few days will tell a lot and hopefully it won't run right up the coast, or up the Gulf. I understand staying calm and not panicking but it seems that very few are heeding the warning signs.
    Jack Sardina

Does anybody know the protocol for locks on the OWW and Kissimmee during such events?

I don't know if it's possible, but if you could hole up in one of those locks, that would be the ultimate in protection. Maybe it would be just a matter of hitting them at the right time, but I assume they shut them down when a storm reaches a certain distance.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Randy, I bet for liability reasons, they would discourage from even getting near the fenders, let alone inside a lock.

I have friends that go up rivers and long tie to large palm trees. Here in Central Fl, with the cone of probability, It is damn if you move, or damn if you do not move.

Hopefully, next week, there is no call the insurance man.

Unfortunately, I have to wait a little longer to see direction.

Tim

In Stuart and cannot find anywhere to go. Called South to WPB and North Vero and nothing available. Getting very, very tense...

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    Randy, I bet for liability reasons, they would discourage from even getting near the fenders, let alone inside a lock.

I have friends that go up rivers and long tie to large palm trees. Here in Central Fl, with the cone of probability, It is damn if you move, or damn if you do not move.

Hopefully, next week, there is no call the insurance man.

Unfortunately, I have to wait a little longer to see direction.

Tim
    Moving is a crap shoot at best. You could just as easily run into it instead of away from it unless you move a long ways away. I was on the Kissimmee back in April (I think), and the lock just south of River Ranch has a nice, protected bay above it. No telling what the bottom is like there, though.

My guess is, if you had sudden engine failure (wink) about the time the lock master was about to evacuate, they would just waive and wish you luck. The wind would go right over you.

Best of luck to you, Tim. Be safe.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Pardon my ignorance....but why not get in the boat, and take it north to GA or SC if on the east, or over toward the panhandle on the west? Right now there is 3-5 days to get there.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I was thinking panhandle should we bug out. But we are in an RV now. The storm will probably re-emerge on the East Coast making a move in that direction a bad decision?
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Pardon my ignorance....but why not get in the boat, and take it north to GA or SC if on the east, or over toward the panhandle on the west? Right now there is 3-5 days to get there.
    You could easily put yourself in a much worse position. Not knowing where it's headed is tough. Now we have another storm right behind it. Jose was just named as our newest tropical storm
    Jack Sardina

Krush,

That is a good option, I have considered it. However some models have shown it scooting up east of Florida. As Randy said, could be motoring right into it's path.

Plus, I have a Generator Business here in Daytona Beach, and Customers have to come first. Nursing homes, Assisted living Facilities etc. That means House, Boat, and vehicles are last.

That is why I always have to ride out the storm. Hopefully the smarter, wiser, will be able to make a better decision than I..

Good luck to us all...

Tim

GA or Sc isn't a good option on this one as it will head north, possibly skirting the coast

Jose looks like it will recurve but who knows...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat