Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Re: What's everybody in Fla doing about Irma?

I have hesitated to make this post given the many cases of damage seen and reported already. My 74 did not sustain any damage in her slip in Admiral's Cove in Jupiter. She had just about every stitch of lines on her through the storm as well as all fenders in use. The Captain was able to spider web her in the slip and although there was stretching of the lines noted (1" lines to boot), she sustained no damage. I was able to see on my cameras that one of the chair covers on the bridge appeared to have been blown down to the bow but upon inspection later, it was rescued by the dock box on the finger and retrieved. The marina is very well sheltered and that really helped. My well wishes for all those who were not as lucky. My good fortune could easily have been reversed.

Dinner key was pounded by sailboats from the city mooring field, many were lifted above the spoil island and went thru the trees. Then when on the inside they either sank or floated deep into the fairways causing damage. There are bits of boats everywhere incl T&H floor boards, cabinet drawers and doors. Also two large alum tanks...

Damage to my port side and view of the dock off my bow with missing decking and pieces of piers floating around
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Our new neighbors... yes there are two of them.... there is hull lying on its side under the floating derelict

And views of the spoil island boats hopped over. Just took this at high tide so add another 4 or 5 ' of surge
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

"DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Interesting. This was shot here. The opening shot is the next t head and like the smaller hatt shown with a sailboat wedge against it, these are all sailboat from the mooring field which jumped over the spoil island

It s going to take forever... the marina told me they can't do anything aboth the two sailboats basically sitting in our slip forcing me forward until they locate the owners. The one floating has no name and expired registration... the one lying on the bottom is non identifiable! At some point I m going to have to take the matter into my own hands and just pull out the one that s floating closer to the mangrove. It looks like it's staying there because of the mast dug into the bottom and it's keep against the one on the bottom.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal sorry about your Hatt. I looked at some satellite pictures of the keys and you can zoom in and see marinas that hauled boats and it seems that a far larger percentage of sailboats were blown off the jack stands. Does that mast add that much windage? Also seems that there are more sailboats blown all over the place verses powerboats. Are the power boaters on average making more of an effort to secure they're boats?

My damage isn't bad. Just a got a quote from A fiberglass guy I ve used before and it far less than it looks.

Yes masts and stays add up to a lot more windage that most people realize. Problem is that old near derelict sailboats make for cheap housing... these guys can't afford to do anything before a storm.

Problem is that here once the surge tops the spoil island the waves come in. We had 3' waves inside the marina coming off the beam and over the dock. Dock boxes that where thru bolted are gone. I had stuff on the galley counters that ended up on the floor despite the fiddles.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Damage from the inside in the old mid ship Sr, now part of the master

Also have some damage at the bow, deep scratches and rub rail but no cracks

These old girls are tough. There is 55 sea ray across the fairway and it's a hug crack at near the bow, same piling damage except that there are now scratches. It just folded upon the first impact
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

And this is what you get when you build a custom 90' yacht in commie china
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat