Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

What's everybody in Fla doing about Irma?

Looks like things have stabilized over the last 12 hours as much as you could expect. Looking like Irma coming into Mia area as a cat 4 and buzsawing up the state. I'm in Pa headed back to VERO tomorrow night. My Co Captain Derek has the boat pretty well secure. I was wondering what Pascal and Ang are doing at Dinner key. Looks pretty exposed.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Re: What's everybody in Fla doing about Irma?

I m not pressing the panic button yet but it s complicated. I have the Hatt which can't move under it s own power, I m booked for a haul out to repower on sept 29 which doesn't me any good.

As long as we don't get anything over 100kts we re ok here. That s what we got for Wilma and Katrina back in 05
    But I was one the boat to adjust the lines... and I won't be able to this time as if the you know what hits the proverbial fan i need to move the 84 lazzara i m running

I also have my 26' classic gaffer on a mooring... I also shave a yard booking for that one (bottom paint and hull clear Awlgrip) next Monday which doesn't smoke any good either. I m going to step down the mast early which I was getting going to for maintenance anyway which allow me to bring it to a private dock deep upnthe coral gables waterway.

I may be able to tow the hatt to the same house on the gables waterway although I have to check bridge clearance. I think without Bimini top the hatt can clear an 18' bridge... we ll see

A storm coming from the the south is pretty much a worst case scenario since you can't run up either coast. Being 5 1/2 days away the fcast is going to shift. If we get a direct hit from the south, I ll move both the hatt and The gaffer to the gables WW and probably take the Laz to the Bahamas. Probably great harbor Cay which is the best hurricane hole one can use. Or NAS or the Exumas. I m planning to fill her up wed. We just got back from great harbor Cays and the Berrys tonight !
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Excellent question. Too soon to tell, but it will be time to make some big decisions shortly.

I'm in Lauderdale. Being new to S. Florida, my boat and hurricanes (Sandy was barely a Cat 1 for me) I am also wondering what others are doing.

I posted this same question on my FB page and Ang chimed in that she is removing valuables and sentimentals from her boat just in case. (not good)

Some boats are paying a monthly contingency ($1800/mo for a 62') to duck into the Cable Marine bunker during named storms.

Most boats here at Coral Ridge YC are removing enclosures, adding lines and staying put.

One captain is also headed to the northern Bahamas and invited me to join his caravan.

I'm torn between heading east or staying put. Freeebird offered to assist if I decide to move her. Thats good cuz it's nice to have someone on board who can safely delivery you on a bologna sandwich and 1 working engine.

Hurricane shutters on the house today, provision the boat tomorrow, head to Okeechobee Waterway Thursday, marina or anchorage Fri night somewhere in the middle of the state...that's the current plan anyway.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

I am in Daytona. No good option here as the entire state is in the cone. If she comes this way, alot of long tying to allow for high tide as not to ride against piling tops. I am too large for local travel lifts, else I would haul out, and sit on the ground.

So far, good luck with every Forida storm the last 25 years. Hope to keep the streak going.

Good luck all, God bless,

Tim

180 mph sustained that means gusts over 200 and staying over the open water? If your not in panic mode now you've got ice water running through your veins. With only a couple major roads out of so fla I would think after today evacuation would be impossible
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

This thing is now a cat 5 and growing in strength. I'd say screw the boats and get the hell out of Dodge while the getting is good. I'm guessing a few more days (or less) will result in total gridlock, and there will be NO room at the inn.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    I'm in Lauderdale. Being new to S. Florida, my boat and hurricanes (Sandy was barely a Cat 1 for me) I am also wondering what others are doing.

I posted this same question on my FB page and Ang chimed in that she is removing valuables and sentimentals from her boat just in case. (not good)

Some boats are paying a monthly contingency ($1800/mo for a 62') to duck into the Cable Marine bunker during named storms.

Most boats here at Coral Ridge YC are removing enclosures, adding lines and staying put.

One captain is also headed to the northern Bahamas and invited me to join his caravan.

I'm torn between heading east or staying put. Freeebird offered to assist if I decide to move her. Thats good cuz it's nice to have someone on board who can safely delivery you on a bologna sandwich and 1 working engine.
    You said you had ham! The deal's off!!!
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    Hurricane shutters on the house today, provision the boat tomorrow, head to Okeechobee Waterway Thursday, marina or anchorage Fri night somewhere in the middle of the state...that's the current plan anyway.
    That was my suggestion to Jim. Seems to me the Kissimmee River would be a great spot to ride one out as it's very well protected. You ever run up that river from the lake?

You can go pretty far north to give this thing room to slow down. Not much in terms of marinas, but ducking in behind a lock/dam would seem to be a good option.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93