Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Hatteras 48 Convertible

I looked on Yachtworld- the price doesn't seem out of line. There are a few for sale at slightly lower prices, but the cost of getting the boat to the Mediterranean would offset the lower price and then some. It looks like a nice boat from the photos.

2. Re: Hatteras 48 Convertible

Syemon,

The core rotting I had wase around the rod holders, the line hauses in the transom, and I've got some on the foredeck by the pulpit. That one worries me as others have had bad issues in that area. It's hard to believe Hatt would cut a hole in a hull or deck and then not glass it. But that did seem like common practice back then.

One other thing I forgot to mention. I looked at 3 other 48 CNV's and all of them had rain water leaks down the inside of the rear bulkhead in the saloon. Basically above the electrical panel on the port side. So be sure and check for this. Most of the paneling and veneer was quite rotted in this area.
    I think rain water runs up under the bridge wing and then makes it way down the cable run to the engine room. It's a hard area to get to and repair. Good luck!

Symeon Guest

Dear all, I am so glad that so many issues were raised. I have awakened to a brisk Spring morning and I am off for my third successive viewing, with the owner of the 48C mentioned above for sale. I am confident that with all that has been raised herein, my day will be well spent and indeed more informed. Thank you all. I will be back with more comments and observations

Symeon Guest

After being away for a couple of days (i went to see the total eclipse, which was amazing!), I have returned to find many emails from you all regarding the 48c.

Here are my comments:

The price is indeed competitive.
    The electrical and upholstery condition are very good
    The mechanical will be tested after service (unfortunately they have changed the oil so it removes some of my capacity to test further)
    The hull will be examined this weekend as we are taking out of the water this weekend

All in all, this may be a keeper. Thank you for your advice and help

Symeon,

If you are concerned about safety in choppy seas, if this boat has stabilizers, you'll be amazed at the performance creating almost no roll and not having to worry about beam seas, quartering them, etc. I will never have another big boat without stabilizers. They may only add about $10K to a boat that already has them, but it's $48K to put new ones on a 48C.

Just a thought re: getting a boat to Greece may not be too expensive if the price or the boat is right for you in USA (like stabilizers for instance). Check transport pricing on "the boat that sinks" which lets you float it on to a huge transport boat in USA and float it off in Greece. You may save enough on price to pay for it? Plus you could come over and cruise for little fun after purchase and before it gets transported.

Doug Shuman

Symeon, suggest you buy a moisture meter. There are some recurring issues in these 'well built boats'. Check for water around the windows and decks, aft of the anchor platform, and on any hard top surfaces.. On the 48' MY, I'm also finding moisture at the wing doors and the boarding areas. Hatteras did a poor job of protecting the balsa cores. It's a shame they did not use a polymeric core as did Atlantic which is also a Hargrave design.

Bob