Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Symeon Guest

Hatteras 48 Convertible

Greetings from Greece. I am faced with the opportunity to purchase a Hatteras 48 Convertible (1989, Detroits 735HP, hard top, etc).

I am currently a Bertram owner, which makes the transition / upgrade all the more difficult. In addition, the fact that I am in Greece has limited the selection of available yachts. Furthermore, the various searches I have conducted on the Internet about the abovementioned boat (48C) have come up in vain.

Below are questions that I have, but have been unable to identify answers or sources. Why can I not find any information, reviews, postings, comments, owners and references specifically to Hatteras 48 Convertible models? The only concrete information I have come up with is the brochure .pdf document available on the Hatteras Owners site.

Below are my questions, to which I sincerely hope to receive your answers and comments to:

-- Was this a problematic model?

-- How many hulls were manufactured?

-- Is there anything particular about this model I should know?

-- Are there any damaging aspects to this model I should know?

-- What were its strong selling points?

-- Does anyone in this Forum own such a boat or have access to information about the 48C so I can make a more informed purchase?

-- Does anyone have any arguments why I should or should not make the purchase of the said vessel?

-- Furthermore, assuming that the price tag for this model is my upper limit, can anyone suggest reasons why I should be looking at alternative Hatteras models or is this a keeper model?

Just to inform you all, I have read all of the threads in this forum (yes, an extensive research) and I have learnt a lot (and expect to go back to many threads with greater detail in the near future). This is an extremely thorogh Forum, to which I can see myself spending a lot of time in. (Though I would have to be honest and say that i would not let go of my other membership ... i.e. Bertram Forum).

I know that I have posted many questions, but all in all, they are the bare bones requirements of getting comfortable with the upgrade purchase.

Kind regards,

Symeon Tsalicoglou
    symeon@exposemedia.gr

Re: Hatteras 48 Convertible

We had a 48 and up graded to the 52. More room, better performance, bigger cockpit, and Great ride. The 48 was OK. Engine Room was hell. Performance sucked, but good ride.

Hope this helps.

Parker

I delivered three new 48Cs. I liked the boat. I thought the lines were far more pleasing than the 52. As stated the engine room was very tight. It was a fast boat when new, Cruised @ 28 kts and 77 GPH.
    There were problems with the first few, but they were resolved. However the model was not a big seller.

Symeon Guest

The engine room is indeed difficult. From what I have seen the electronics are also extremely complex. I have not heard anything however about the initial problems which were later resolved. Also, does anyone know why it was not a big seller? Also, what is the difference between a bad performance a great ride?
    I still look forward to comments. Thanks for the initial feedback.
    Symeon

The electronics and electrical systems are complex on all big boats. The Hatteras 48 is probably no better and no worse than anything else its' size.
    The 735hp version of the 8v92 is run at a rather high output level to get that kind of power- so an engine survey and possibly reducing performance levels to get better engine life should be considered. As to engine access, if everyone says that the engines etc are hard to get to, then it will make maintenance more difficult, the entire time you own the boat. You and your mechanic should look at it to see whether you feel that you can live with it or not.
    As for whether it was a good boat or not, I suspect it was superseded by the 50C which as far as I can tell is still in production! unless I misunderstand the brochures archive. The 48C was built for three years. There are probably not many around. I recall a previous thread on this boat where the general concensus was that it is bigger, heavier, and thirstier than the 46C- the difference is evidently a lot more than you would imagine for only two feet of LOA.
    You don't mention anything about price and condition. Basically you have to decide if this boat is going to meet your needs, is it available at a fair price, and will it pass a serious hull and engine survey? No, it is not the most popular Hatteras convertible around, but it may be right for you. Or you may want to look at either a 46C, or a 50 or 52.
    I don't know what the regulations are regarding importing a used boat from the USA, but there are a lot more of them over here, and they went over to Europe as deck freight regularly (they certainly didn't travel on their own bottoms ), so the pathway exists to look for a boat here and bring it to Greece. You might be better off finding the boat that exactly meets your needs and bringing it to Greece, rather than buying what is already there because it's there. But, as I say, I don't know what the import rules are. Good luck in your search.

6. Re: Hatteras 48 Convertible

Just to amplify one point raised above...

Do not ignore service access issues! I eventually gave up on owning a Viking over this. The 41Cs and to a lesser extent the 45s looked nice, until you tried to get around down in the engine room. They had severe service issues I could not live with, and ultimately I passed for that reason.

My 45C has some access issues too, but not nearly as severe. Nonetheless, they are there, and if you're a "bigger" guy this becomes more important to gauge. Figure out if YOU can get to everything belowdecks you need to for service purposes. If the answer is "no", then you are going to be adding a LOT to your maintenance bill to get someone ELSE down in those spaces to do it for you......

Thumbs up Re: Hatteras 48 Convertible

Good Ride=Comfortable in rough seas compared to other boats of similar size. Our 1989 48 burned just as much fuel and was slower (19-20 knots at 2000 rpm) than our 1990 52. We tried several different props of varing diameter and pitch but could not get this boat to perform as advertised. I liked the boat but prefer the 52.

Good Luck.

8. Re: Hatteras 48 Convertible

I've owned Top Shelf (1989 48 CNV) for about three years. It is a model you don't hear much about. In fact there's only one other guy on this forum that has one or at least participates.

When I was buying the boat Hatt indicated they had built about 70 of these over 3 or 4 years and then went to the 50. My boat is 53K pounds in the slings, half fuel load. Full pipewelders tower, Marquipt Davit and a13 foot tender on the bow. I cruise (1900 RPM) 16 to 17 knots.....at about 55 gallons a hour. These are 8V92TAC's with a Covington Marine conversion.

I'm 6' 1" and consider myself a phat boy. But I can get (without buttering my arse up) in front of both mains and then have adquete room for mait, service and repair. Cockpit access to the engine room was a big factor for me.

Mains have 2500 hours on them and pass Karl's "smoke test". They run well but drink the go go juice big time. 15KW Onan had a busted hour meter (2200 hr hours) when I got the boat. I've at least doubled that and it runs strong. Never even burbs with everything running.

We love the way the boat handles the seas, it'll take more than we can. Rolls some in a beam sea, tower doesn't help. Big shafts, running gear and swings big props, close quarter is a breeze. Everything in it is way over built. Wish it was a little faster and more economical. We've learned to kick back and hull speed it a lot more; now that fuel is so high.

The only real disappointment I've had is some core rotting around deck fittings that I'm slowly fiixing. But that seems pretty common to most models of this vintage.

I'd do a price comparison between the early 50's and the 48'. If you're capped $ wise and the 48 survey's out OK, I wouldn't be afraid of it. Thx.

Brad

9. Re: Hatteras 48 Convertible

Symeon,

I have 1973 48' Yachtfish, I am doing a complete make over on her. I really like the boat but did not like the way Hatteras did the original layout, so we are making things the way I want them. The engine access was limited and hatch system was so-so, so when we ripped out all the wood we had the opportunity to change the entire floor/hatch layout. But she is a great party boat when the girls are on board, two staterooms and two heads, and I use her to fish for the big ones off shore during the winter months here in North Carolina, nice and cozy. She was slow 17 knots, with the old engines (8v71N), but the new Detroits 735 hp 8v92 and along with extended chine rails, we are expecting 30+ knots. I expect to raise a few eyebrows. The boat weighs 48,000 lbs in the slings and is an all glass boat, no cores. If you are not a hardcore fisherman, the yachtfish is a great boat, but it is a compromise for the serious fisherman. If I want to go faster I go out in my 38 Fountain Tournament Edition 72 MPH!

Symeon Guest

I feel like a school boy once again! Taking notes and adding post-its to my list of things to check next time I visit the boat (this weekend!).

The comments above have been extremely helpful. I can answer some already, I will look into some this weekend, and a few more questions have emerged.

The size of the engine room is indeed tight, but not impossible to get around. I am 6'3 and therefore need to get into a twister to access some parts. The complexity of electronics are indeed in general greater in every larger boat, but since I have not dealt with other Hatteras I was impressed (daunted) at the amount of stuff around.

Regarding the handling of it versus its speed and consumption, the seas in Greece are short and choppy without heavy swells. I would be looking at all times to be safe and be able to return to harbor without feeling the risk. That is one of the main reasons I am moving to a Hatteras.

I do not know the props but will look at them and report back here.

I have not inspected for any problems of rotting but will certainly do so. Is this problem common on Hatteras? Should I inspect any other areas of rotting or other problems elsewhere on the boat?

Regarding other sized Hatteras and their not being available in the Greek market, the comments are well taken and I will look into the import issues. I must admit, however, that I was more 'flexible and forgiving' on the available 48C. Yes, I could find something cheaper, faster, better, with only a difference of 2 feet up or down.

The cost is 330,000USD, which is something that I will need to compare with what is available in the US and add some import duties etc etc.

All in all, I am looking forward to more comments for me to get the hang of this boat (and its similar siblings).

Best regards from Greece

Symeon