Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Are these "well maintained" Detroits?

Someone recently posted that a "well maintained" Detroit Diesel doesn't leak oil. The video shows the state of affairs after 12 hours of cruising over four days. That could be an accurate statement or a statement of a well maintained Detroit that sits at the dock. I don't know, because I cruise mine and this is about the best I can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dEHLFc4Erg&feature=youtu.be

Actually, I'm showing off some.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

2. Re: Are these "well maintained" Detroits?

All machinery spaces should look as nice as yours!

Re: Are these "well maintained" Detroits?

That is toooooooo nice. WOW
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

well done sir!!

Thank you. It's good I'm retired, because you all know how much is required to get this result. You might imagine my reaction, oil change before last, when my helper dropped a filter full of used oil in the starboard bilge. That's when I gave up on the high gloss look and went to the pig mats after the repainting. Sure hope I have more than a video if Irma hits town.

I try and have a couple of projects a week knowing they'll always lead into something I wasn't planning on doing. One thing they all have in common is blood. Every week it's new bunch of cuts. You have to keep up to date on your shots to own an old Hatt. But, I at least have proof my autoimmune system is just fine with Galley Maid heads and those clamps.

IMG_8342.jpg

So today I began working on leaving a smaller blood trail going forward. Maybe you already know this. I found that 1/2" heat shrink works great on worm gear hose clamp tails. I found that 1/4" heat shrink works well on screw clamp rods. So does anyone have a guess on how many clamps are on a boat--all systems? Gonna be some commas involved.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

When you take a video from your phone, turn the phone to LANDSCAPE!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

i can't wait to retire... Beautiful man cave you have there.

Enjoy Labor Day from the rainy and cold Northeast...

Ughh.

Robert, the 1000's of ziptie's that have been cutoff always seem to get the best of me

Opened up a can of whoop-ass on that did you? Chest out, arms back, who's bad?

Robert, couple curiosities, what is the round piece (open in the middle) to port of the gen?
    Starboard aft engine hose running aft , what is the purpose of large brass valve near to engine facing inward
    Last edited by ageless; 09-03-2017 at 04:41 PM.