Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fla DD school...

I've signed up for the 4-day course for 92s at the Ft. Lauderdale DD location...has anyone else taken this class?

Re: Fla DD school...

I took the five day 71 series course in Tampa at the Detroit Distributorship four years ago. Great course, you are going to love it. The key is to actually use what you learn by practicing on your engines. Also, you will make great contacts on how to get parts at wholesale, or close to it.

Mike Meeker
    m/v Eventide
    1968 50' Yachtfish
    Last edited by Eventide; 03-21-2006 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks Mike,

We just got the boat last summer and have pretty much had both engines "majored" by this point with all the things that have been done, so getting some hands-on experience at the class will, I hope, pay off by improved maintenance (and knowing better what to watch for! )

You are going to have a bawl. I did a Cat school years ago and it was two weeks. We did a lot more than just rebuild engines...testing, electrical etc.

Ted

Are there still DD schools available? Are they just for mechanics or can a novice owner expect to learn useful information?

How extensive is the course? Also what are the prerequisites for enrollment.

Walt

Looks like they still have them. I could never make the scheduling work out, but they are aimed at the boat owner.

http://internal.fdda.com/uploads/com...raining/11.pdf
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Looks like just 2 classes next year:

2-Cycle CM1 Customer/Mechanic 4 Days $1000
    Series 53, 71, & 92
    March 1-4
    June 14-17
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Hi All,

Has anyone taken the CM1 course for 71's.

The course listing describes it as "Basic operation, maintenance, trouble-shooting and minor repair of marine engines and related systems, including; fuel, intake and exhaust, cooling, lube, and engine electrical. The DDEC equipped Vessel course includes operation and minor troubleshooting of the Marine DDEC system"..................which I think we've got somewhat of a handle on. I was looking for a course that maybe went one or two steps further. We DON"T want to be DD mechanics but would like to know enough NOT to be dangerous.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

10. Re: Fla DD school...

the 71 course has my attention and as I AM NOT a mechanic.... And as I was born/rasied in Ft Lauderdale wouldn't mind going back.... But looks like the dates (yet again) might be a problem....
    And also don't know if anyone down there still speaks English.....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com