Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hynautic vented or non vented?

I'm working on installing a new Garmin AP w/ Smart Pump.

Reading the "hydraulic considerations" page in the install manual and it states:

"This pump must not be installed with a steering system that has an unvented reservoir, because it will damagethe pump. Before installing the pump, you must verify that the vessel steering has a vented reservoir. Typically,the vent hole is in the filler cap of the highest helm. If you are not clear as to whether the steering system isvented, you should check with the manufacturer of the helm or the reservoir to verify"

Being that these are pressurized steering systems, I cant see how this is a vented system. I've read older posts on here with others praising their Garmin AP's, and have friends how also have them in their Tiaras, which I thought were similar systems.

Am missing something? Assuming it will still work, but figured I'd ask.

Re: Hynautic vented or non vented?

I agree with you that the Hynautic systems on most of our boats are not vented. They are pressurized- maybe not huge pressure, mine keeps about 20 lbs, but that is not a vented system. A phone call to Garmin might be in order. Meanwhile, do any of our forum members have both Hynautic steering and a Garmin pilot?

A vented system would run at zero resting pressure, right? the only pressure would be what the helm pumps generate to move the rudder cylinder, and when you were done turning the wheel, there would be no residual pressure. Perhaps what they're trying to say is that if the AP pump has to work against the residual pressure in a sealed pressurized system, it may be damaged?

Call your dealer. They sold it to you they should know.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have hynautic steering and Garmin A/P with a smart Pump. It works perfectly. I was not involved in the install beyond the financial end.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

You are working with text/instructions for a 2 line steering system (original SeaStar). The top helm pump is vented. There is NO remote reservoir. Further, there are only two (2) lines in the system and to the AP pump.

Most later systems have a 3 line system with remote reservoir. We are most familiar with the pressurized Hynautic systems.

Crazy part is, DumbMetic now owns all the marine rudder control systems.
    What a monopoly.

Again; When you can not compete, buy out your competition. DumbMetic has done this so well.

I fear you have a 2 line pump for the original SeaStar (BayStar?) systems.
    2 line vs 3 line AP pump systems are NOT compatible.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; Yesterday at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    You are working with text/instructions for a 2 line steering system (original SeaStar). The top helm pump is vented. There is NO remote reservoir. Further, there are only two (2) lines in the system and to the AP pump.Most later systems have a 3 line system with remote reservoir. We are most familiar with the pressurized Hynautic systems.Crazy part is, DumbMetic now owns all the marine rudder control systems. What a monopoly.Again; When you can not compete, buy out your competition. DumbMetic has done this so well.I fear you have a 2 line pump for the original SeaStar (BayStar?) systems.2 line vs 3 line AP pump systems are NOT compatible.
    No I have a 3 line Hynautic system. Port, stbd and a return line. The smart pump is also a 3 line pump. The text above was a copy and paste from the garmin manual.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Call your dealer. They sold it to you they should know.
    Really not sure how this is helpful.... I'm in an area with little to no service, we're on our own maintenence and installs. Would I had known you sold garmin, I would have reached out. If you know the answer to my question, I'd appreciate any insight. (Still looking for a new battery charger by the way..... 12v, 2 8D's gasser engine room)

Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    No I have a 3 line Hynautic system. Port, stbd and a return line. The smart pump is also a 3 line pump. The text above was a copy and paste from the garmin manual.
    Possibly text from the wrong chapter or wrong manual.
    If you have a pump part number, I can look it up and quad-drupple check.