Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Onan generator starter

Struggling a little bit. I have an Onan 15.0 marine genset onboard my 1994 48’ Hatteras cpmy. The starter for the genset is having trouble engaging the bendix. I haven’t torn it apart but completely expect that the gear is worn. Hopefully not the flywheel. Does anyone know a source for a starter for the Onan?
    IMG_5196.jpg IMG_5197.jpg
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

Www.youtube.com/@greatlakesyachting

Re: Onan generator starter

This can be a little tough. I had a similar issue with our Onan right after we arrived in Ft Myers. Found out Onan is now part of Cummins (Their customer support was excellent, sent me install, parts and service manuals as PDFs for free within 24 hours of asking). Local shop was a little more problematic as they hemmed and hawed over ordering a part on a "cash" ticket but I pre-paid and they warmed up.

However, there's a seller on Ebay that has odd/hard to find engine electrical components, and I was able to buy engine starter solenoids directly from their storefront for about $50 each compared to local Detroit Diesel shop which would only sell starter solenoids as part of $1400 starter assembly.

When I bought from them he also had an Amazon storefront and shipped under Prime.

Ebay seller Rareelectrical | eBay Stores

Onan/Cummins Onan - Shop Cummins

"A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

My starter/alternator shop changed the bendix on my 7.5 mdje with no trouble. It was a standard size and I don't think the starter was anything special either.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    My starter/alternator shop changed the bendix on my 7.5 mdje with no trouble. It was a standard size and I don't think the starter was anything special either.

Walt Hoover
    Didn't even think of that and we have a first-rate (don't judge on outside appearance at the shop) starter/alternator/elec motor rebuild shop here in Ft Myers. Outstanding technician, has no personality though.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

We had Northstar auto electric rebuild the starter for our 20K Onan. He did a great job, charged less than I was expecting, and got it back super quick. I shipped it to him.

https://www.northstarautoelectric.com/contact
    Nathan McAfee
    Ocean Sloth
    1990 Hatteras 54' EDMY

Good ideas! Thanks guys
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

Www.youtube.com/@greatlakesyachting

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    Didn't even think of that and we have a first-rate (don't judge on outside appearance at the shop) starter/alternator/elec motor rebuild shop here in Ft Myers. Outstanding technician, has no personality though.
    Same with the place I went to also, the counter person was great but I had a question only the mechanic could answer and he seemed like he didn't want to be interrupted. It didn't mater, I still took my alternators, starters and voltage regulators to him. Paying cash helped!