Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Searchlight advice

I’m replacing a non-moving chrome factory searchlight. Was considering the 24V ACR RCL-95 LED (comes with one wired joystick plus a remote). I almost always drive during daylight with occasion nights on the hook so searchlight would be rarely used but I truly appreciate the importance of seeing when you need to. Seeking your collective experience and advice on best solution. Thanks!

Re: Searchlight advice

I rebuilt my big chrome searchlight and it works well. But I never use it. Its so much easier to use a hand held. You can instantly pan to whatever position you need and the new LED battery powered units are super bright. And also much cheaper. So, you have to ask yourself, do you really even need to replace it?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I like handhelds too, but you have to open up your enclosure windows due to the reflection and glare.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Forgot to mention that most of the time I drive from the pilothouse making the searchlight more useful in my case than a handheld.

I've been very happy with the old fashion 7" Jabsco spot/flood remote controlled search light. It looks good, lasts many years. and works well.

Installed a ACR RCL-100 LED 24volt 4 years ago and the 12volt version on our center console 2 years ago, it's a great product.
    Don't short yourself, go all the way with the bigger brighter light.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I paid $1k-something to rebuild my 7" spotlight, they even rechromed it for me. Works great. I looked into other stuff and it was all going to cost the same, so I figured why not have the real deal. It really works well too.

The ACR LED light is great! We have the 24v installed and they have a feature that will cycle it ever 30 days to keep everything good and lubed up. As a backup I have handheld LED too. I prefer to use the ACR when we are anchoring at night/early morning as it lights up the deck and immediate area. Mainly use the handheld on the tender or quick check on something outside.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    The ACR LED light is great! We have the 24v installed and they have a feature that will cycle it ever 30 days to keep everything good and lubed up. As a backup I have handheld LED too. I prefer to use the ACR when we are anchoring at night/early morning as it lights up the deck and immediate area. Mainly use the handheld on the tender or quick check on something outside.
    As with David, I removed the non-functioning factory search light and replaced with a white 24-volt ACR RCL-95 LED. This one has a fixed control station (mounted in lower helm) and also a remote control that works well.