Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

No good deed goes unpunished

Getting ready for our trips I figured I’d change the generator pump out for a new one I bought a year or two ago so we start out fresh. Start up yesterday to test and all is good. Arrive at anchorage today and I noticed light steam from exhaust. And not enough water. I have the original pump ready to go back in with a fresh impeller and I’ll have to probably dig out blade pieces from the HX.

At least we are running on the spare generator that was just installed so I was able to do all this with AC on. Plan to swap pump later this afternoon when the generator is cooled off.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: No good deed goes unpunished

Fortunately you caught it before much more happened? You have my sympathy. I remember digging out the impeller pieces from the HX, and backflushing it with dock water to ensure I got it all. Good luck and good trip!
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Local trip. Shake down for summer trip. We’re in that mode so no big deal. After 5 1/2 years with this boat I am very familiar and comfortable with all the systems as I have serviced all plus have a good spare parts supply.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

New stands for never ever worked.

Sometimes preventive maintenance comes back and bite you in the ….
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

What I have learned the hard way. Looks like you will understand the lesson now also;

Never store a raw water pump with an impeller installed.

The impeller takes a set and the rubber near melds to the case.
    Near instant self-destruct.

Arrow Re: No good deed goes unpunished

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    What I have learned the hard way. Looks like you will understand the lesson now also;

Never store a raw water pump with an impeller installed.

The impeller takes a set and the rubber near melds to the case.
    Near instant self-destruct.
    I learn as I go. Now will carry the pump and impeller (new one on the way) separately and when the time comes put them together, install, and repeat. Up and running on main generator now.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP